Blue Crown Regurgitation?

kiwischicago

Jul 12, 2013
Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, thank you for this forum, and the ability to reach out to other parrot owners. This is my first post here, and I am hoping I may be able to gain some insight into a "problem" I am having with my Blue-Crowned Conure (named Kiwi).

I attempted to do a search before posting here, but I'm not sure of the correct keywords I should input, as I'm not exactly sure what I should be researching. With that said, forgive me if this, or a similar, topic has been posted in the past.

My parrot recently turned 18, and besides a cockatiel neighbor for a brief period, he has been the solo bird in our household for all of his life. In recent months, he has become very aggressive with my mom and sister, but remains "cool" with me. When they approach his cage, he fluffs up and will open his mouth as if he is going to attack. This is usually how he acts around my brother, but not with the ladies.

Nothing has changed within our behavior or household, and this began taking place before winter transitioned into spring/summer. But this demeanor is not the reason I am posting; I am stating this in case it is relevant.

Because Kiwi is the lone bird, we always have at least one big play toy for him to gnaw, swing, and even cuddle alongside. One of these toys had a bell on it, and about 3 months ago, he was holding the bell like a cup, and making his, "Mmmm, mmmm!!!" sound. It's like a "yum, that's good" sound, that he makes when we give him food. I watched him for a little bit, and indeed: he was eating something from his bell.

I took out the toy, and upon inspection, dropped the toy in disgust and surprise. I don't know what it was, but there was a thick milky-white substance in the bell! I threw away the toy, and replaced it with one that did not have a bell.

I wondered if it was some sort of mold, and over the last 3 months, have been inspecting his cage daily to ensure nothing was growing.

Well, yesterday, I checked on him, and this gross mystery substance was all over one of the wooden blocks on his toy. And he was going to town on it, as if it were an ice cream cone! It definitely wasn't mold, as it wasn't there earlier in the day.

So, I'm wondering if he is regurgitating? We have never witnessed him do this before, over the past 18 years. My next question is that if it is, why is he starting now? Is the mean attitude related?

Or, does this sounds like we need to take a trip to the vet? I'm hoping this is not the route, which is why I am reaching out to the other parrot owners here, to try and gain some knowledge. I appreciate your time and expertise, and am hoping that you can help.

Thank You,
Lauren & Kiwi

:blue2: :white1: :blue1: :green: :rainbow1: :red1: :yellow1: :whiteblue:

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
I'm not a bird expert by any means, but it doesn't sound like anything serious. He might just be using his toys as "mates". If you are worried or if he seems puffed up or not as active, you could take him to the vet for a check up. If you don't take him once a year to the vet, it might be time to take him in anyway. :) Good luck! Sorry I couldn't help more.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Yes it sounds like regular regurgitation. I've read parrots would do this on things they favor, not just on their chosen humans. Do you catch him head bobbing as he does it? Eating it right after regurgitating is also what my conure does lol.

If you're really concerned, I'd set down white paper under his cage grate and just observe his droppings for a while. Would also be a good idea to keep a daily log of his weight taken preferably in the morning after his great, big poop and before his breakfast.

Most Reactions

Latest posts