Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
We are fostering this beautiful BFA. His legs are splayed, so we are working on getting a cage set up for him with ramps, flat perches, etc. If anyone has ideas or experience with this, please share. There are now 5 in my feathered flock and each one brings such joy!
tempImageY906D2.jpg

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
He’s absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for taking him in and giving him a good life, even though it’s only temporary. I hope he finds his forever parronts soon ❤️

D

Deleted member 42416

You are setting up the right kind of cage! Bless you for adopting him. I have a sun conure with similar special needs (“Hindsight is 20/20” thread). She cannot perch normally and at 4 months is still unweaned.

They don’t know they have any disability and enjoy life & lovins’ like any other birby!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wide flat perches and if ramps, try to find some sort of bumpy surface for the ramp, so its not a slide! Even if you use a Dremel tool to make some grooves in it. A good hobby store might have something ... We have a nice flat big stone perch hang-out place in our Salty's cage. Kinda like the entry vestibule for a house. Oooo! Look, I used a big word!

OP
ShellyL

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
We are fostering this beautiful BFA. His legs are splayed, so we are working on getting a cage set up for him with ramps, flat perches, etc. If anyone has ideas or experience with this, please share. There are now 5 in my feathered flock and each one brings such joy!View attachment 36475
My husband just built him this accessible play stand. He loves it and can finally eat comfortably!

Attachments

• tempImageTqk635.png
    tempImageTqk635.png
    639.5 KB · Views: 75

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The direction you are heading is correct and love your husband's excellent work! Providing flat surfaces is the primary method of helping. Also, consider towel covered those flat surfaces as they provide grip and 'warmth'. Also, try a Web search using terms like Handicap Birds.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
You rock!

Can you show us your Lilac Crowned?

Most Reactions