Blue Head - Tongue Growth

peakcomp

May 19, 2016
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus
Hi All!

My Blue Head has developed what appears to be some form of a growth under his tongue. This is causing him what I believe, to eat less. His keel is protruding more than normal. The vet just weighed him at 260 grams. Blood test shows elevated white blood cell count and before the blood test was even submitted, they determined he was anemic. Vet also injected him with Vitamin A as well as Iron 4 days ago.

Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory on board now for 4 days, and I don't see an improvement.

He seems to be eating tho, which is odd given the lack of breast build.

What the heck could be the growth under his tongue?

:confused:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Did the vet say anything ? Does he know ?
I doubt anyone on here can give a opinion regarding a growth . We try to advise but that can be limited . A New vet visit might be in order.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, an Avian Vet, no dog an cat doctor. They have their place - treating dogs and cats.
So is your vet an AV Vet? What was his weight prior to the problem?

No idea bout the growth, but treatments with birds usually make a difference in them in a day or 2. G/L

OP
P

peakcomp

May 19, 2016
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus
The vet says it could be simply Vitamin a deficiency to full on tumor.

Did the vet say anything
? Does he know ?
I doubt anyone on here can give a opinion regarding a growth . We try to advise but that can be limited . A New vet visit might be in order.

OP
P

peakcomp

May 19, 2016
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus
I was not aware of his weight prior to problem. His weight from records in 2006 was very similar to what it is now. Which is fairly odd, as he obviously has lost weight.

The vet is an avian and exotic vet

Right, an Avian Vet, no dog an cat doctor. They have their place - treating dogs and cats.
So is your vet an AV Vet? What was his weight prior to the problem?

No idea bout the growth, but treatments with birds usually make a difference in them in a day or 2. G/L

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Were you able to get any more insight from the vet?

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
:/ hope this trip gives you an answer and the next treatment works for him. I have your little guy in my thoughts.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hope you're able to get some concrete answers and treatment. It sounds like they will need to do more in the way of testing. Are you confident in this vet? If they seem to have run out of answers, time for a second opinion from another avian vet. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts