B

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hello, your questions are excellent. I am happy that you are considering what is best for the little one.

Personally, I would worry and ask these questions. But you might already done so?

Is this replacement a male?
When was he hatched?
How old will he be by 16th?
What about a first Vet appointment to screen for health issue?
Band on his leg(s)?
Wing clipping?

I thought this horror story might be a good to know thing, so you can prevent this wing clipping routine from happening to him. Sadly, we recently heard that a baby bird's wings were clipped by the store, despite written order not to do so. It was done by mistake since that store did it in routine. But It truly damaged both psychologically as well as the baby's chance to develop muscle properly. Baby bird loose trust during wing clipping. And the muscle also would not get any chance to develop until the wing grow back. From our experience, baby birds learn to perfect their flight easily in months. But wing clipped adult birds who never knew how to fly from the beginning, took years to learn and still had trouble with landing.

In my opinion, good outcome is planed. Prevention is easier than correction. So worrying has its advantages towards preventing mistakes from happening in the first place. let's give a good look at what will it take to welcoming a baby bird. So that he can be a happiest baby.

My worries lead me to this predictions on the outcome.......
in 2 scenarios......1) Best case scenario, all went well. You will only missed the first month of bonding with this baby. And you can build trust later on.
2) Worst case scenario.....stressed baby? Take longer to earn his trust? It's a girl or the age is older than promised? Or will he have learned some unwanted behavior such as biting? (In young baby birds, unintended behaviors can spring from mishandling. Sadly, they sometimes were rehomed and ended up in bird sanctuary.)

All his life's happiness would depends on your experience with bird and bird behavior correction.

Best of luck

Most Reactions