BOGO update

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
BOGO: buy one, get one (free is implied, but reduced price is also used) A term frequently used in US retail to promote a sale or discount when purchasing more than one item.

I have passed a full week now with both Liesl and Wrangler--it will be one week home tomorrow--and my, how things have changed! Ive adapted pretty well to the learning curve and now have a fairly decent routine set up. I made my first mini batch of chop (kale, yellow pepper, carrot shreds, broccoli, brussels sprouts, peas, cooked sweet potato, and quinoa mix (from the bird store, has seasoning and veggies) and I cooked beans over the weekend, so I mix the two together and they seem to like it pretty well. Liesl made a nice neat pile to the side of her bowl of things she didnt like, but has decided to eat more and toss less today. Her weight is holding steady at 294--she was 295 the first day, then 299 the second. I intend to call the vet who did her travel exam and see what she was a week ago for comparison. Wrangler hasnt been weighed but he eats everything in sight so Im not worried--plus he's conned me out of a TON of nuts.

The flight from ATL to LAX was interesting...to say the least. TSA had us in a room to inspect the cages, and they both took pics with Liesl. I kept both in the 22" dog crate, with a separation wall, until it was time to board, then put both in the soft travel carrier (again, separation wall required---I had a fun time making that the night before!) It was really cramped for them and they werent happy, but it was only for the flight. Wrangler is VERY vocal, so i had to keep feeding him to keep him quiet. He went through 2 bags of pretzels and a good number of almonds and corn nuts. Liesl isnt vocal, but she was a bit frantic about being confined. She eventually settled down but near the end of the flight I looked down and noticed a red and blue bird sitting on top of the travel carrier looking at me! She'd worried the zippers open from the inside and let herself out! I ended up holding her during landing--not much else you can do at that point. She's happiest when she's sitting on me.

Wrangler is going to be a bit of a project. Poor thing has been through soooo many transitions in the last few months. He was doing exceptionally well while at my mothers (and as Only Bird) easy to take out, good at step up, good about being handled, but once we reached CA and he got a bigger cage, he has regressed a bit. He is curious, approaches me in the cage, etc...but doesn't want to be handled. I let him out, and he goes to the top of his cage---or tries to get to Liesl's crate to annoy her, steal her toys. He only wants me to handle him if he's stuck and needs my help. He is biting at me less...mostly hard pinches rather than trying to attack--so as long as I respect that, we're good.

He has started talking, but only when im not in the room...so far Ive heard "peekaboo" and "whatcha doin". He is still pretty insecure about things out of the cage (he plays with all his toys though! Yay!) And last night I took him over to the kitchen while he was on my arm---he was definately scared but did fine. Trying to work with him, but slowly. Liesl otoh has already been out for a walk with the dog and has a perch in the upstairs bathroom. She's game for just about anything new. Kudos to her breeder for harness training her! Ive had to install a sheer curtain as a room divider to keep her from flying out of the bird room (dining room/kitchen). Her favorite landing spot (when not on top of my head) is the fruit bowl---no surprise there.

Still down a cage--Liesl is currently in the knockdown crate until I can sort out the cage situation---not sure if Im getting her a new cage, or a bigger one for Wrangler and letting her have the original one. Hopefully I will have that sorted in the next few days. Anyone have input on if a 26" Wide is too small for a female? Ive found several decent quality used cages but none are as wide as the current 32x22 that Wrangler is in. I dont want to downsize his area, he's very active--but im not having much luck finding an affordable cage that is the same size or larger. Comments/observations/suggestions welcome :D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...Anyone have input on if a 26" Wide is too small for a female? Ive found several decent quality used cages but none are as wide as the current 32x22 that Wrangler is in. I dont want to downsize his area, he's very active--but im not having much luck finding an affordable cage that is the same size or larger. Comments/observations/suggestions welcome :D

Sorry I'm just seeing this. Yes, in my opinion 26" wide is too small for an ekkie. 36" or wider would be better. Of course, there are other factors as well. If your bird spends most of the day out of her cage, the smaller cage dimensions wouldn't matter nearly so much.

Btw, love the story of how Liesl worked her way out of the carrier during your flight! Lol! That must've been quite the surprise. Did either ekkie show any discernible reactions to the ascent or descent? I just wonder how they would react to changes in altitude... being flighted animals and all.

OP
C

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
I ended up getting Wrangler a bigger cage--he's got a 32 wide, same as before, but more depth since he's a climber. Liesl got her original cage (also 32") back from Wrangler. They were actually very good on the flight, no discernable reactions other than hating the cramped space. Wrangler dealt with that better than Liesl, but then again I was bribing him to stay quiet most of the flight so as not to annoy the other passengers.

Liesl is up to 330 grams, Wrangler is holding steady around 450. I resumed abundance weaning/evening formula last week, even though she wasnt asking for it, to try and get her weight up a bit faster. She isnt particularly lean--keel wasnt protruding, but I decided that it wouldnt hurt. Turns out, NOW she is SCREAMING for her evening formula every night when I walk through the door. Wrangler gets the leftovers. It's the noisiest she is all day.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ahhhhh! 330 sounds MUCH better! I'm so glad to hear she's gaining weight.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts