Bonding and bad habits

Caitlin

Jan 5, 2023
Parrots
Yoshi the cockatiel
Hey there! I have a 2 year old cockatiel named yoshi, yoshi is a he and quite the stubborn personality.
Id like a guide on how to better bond with him, he wont step up, but he will fly over onto my hand, and usually ends up on my shoulder, yoshi no matter wheter his cage or my hand or shoulder will bite if you put ur hand near him, he lunges almost instantly, tho he never drew blood before, this just isnf behaviour i want. Every animal has boundaries which i can respect and id never grab him etc, pet him etc knowing hes simply not comfertable with it but stepping up is something i do want him to do without getting defensive. Hes not from a good breeder. He wasnt socialized but hes much better in some ways now. He gives kisses. He steals my food out my mouth, he misses me when im not home cuz according to everyone he screams his birdy lungs out until im back.
How do i get him used to hands etc and in general get a better bond with him.

Im not sure if this matters but at night his cage gets covered up cuz otherwise he screams all night.
Theres other cockatiels in the house but he doesnt get along with them for the life of him (the other 4 are caged togheter and him separately and at playtime he will chase em away, the rest are my moms, hes mine)

Im definitely a beginner owner even after 2 years cuz birds are so much more confusing than my rabbits or rats lmao.
Help would be sooo appreciated!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Caitlin, I'm so happy you joined us! We are all constantly learning about our feathered friends, that's a good thing:)

Here is a link that I found to be very helpful with bonding:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I cover my cockatoo because he prefers it, and can't sleep if he isn't covered. There isn't anything wrong with covering at night if that's what your bird prefers.

Patience is key:)

WIshing you the best of luck, and I'd love updates as you try different things! That could be very helpful for others to read of your journey with Yoshi:)

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
When did you bring Yoshi home? Like Terry57 mentioned, you need to be patient. Was Yoshi a rescue or was he purchased from a breeder or pet shop? Hands along with fingers are usually the enemy, especially with new arrivals. You need to earn his trust. With my past experience with cockatiels, I always let them adjust to their surroundings. I would let them get used to the sound of my voice, other noises in the home, bed time (I also cover my bird, leave a night light on in the room). Getting them established to a routine is helpful too.

The link that was provided to you by Terry57 above has a lot of useful information.

Most Reactions