Bonding question?

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
For the last 25 years I was owned by an African Gray. He passed in July. I can't deal with a home without a bird...but can't do that level of bonding as before. My wife and I would like to actually fly or go on vacation (which we have only done along with our Gray). Don't get me wrong, we would never fly again if only we could have him back. But wondering if budgies are good to leave with babysitters...do they bond to owners like Grays do? If we get a pair, will they destroy themselves if we go on vacation? I need to give my love to another bird...but I can't do it on that level again, at this point. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
All birds will bond with their owner. If you see yourself traveling a lot I wouldnt recommend birds.

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
All birds will bond with their owner. If you see yourself traveling a lot I wouldnt recommend birds.
Thanks. We don't. The most we would ever do leaving them in the care of another is one week. Which we would never have done with our gray

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have been away from my birds for a week due to illness. I’d think most parrots should be able to cope with that if they’re kept by someone who understands parrots. (I.e. not locked in a cage and ignored for a week).

Then again, I have not considered keeping an African Grey as I feel my life isn’t stable enough for such a smart bird. I wouldn’t want to end up with a neurotic Grey. Most other parrots are less intense as far as I understand.

Most Reactions