Bonding three macaws to myself and to each other

Ratsratsrats

Feb 21, 2021
Soon to be NC!
Parrots
Currently, none
Hello, I know I posted recently about some other things, but whatever(if you don't want to read all of this just skip to the end and I'll have it all shortened out) My life is changing quite suddenly and I'm moving up to North Carolina and where I'm moving there's a sanctuary that does not care for its birds properly because everyone is scared of the macaws and cockatoos. Like so scared that they can't even give them toys. I'll post about the cockatoos in the cockatoo section, but right now I want to focus on their three macaws.
Two macaws are bonded and one is kept in the very back alone and they told me that all three of them have behavioral issues. But I know that they just act macho to new people. I want to work at the sanctuary even though everyone I talk to privately says that the owners treat the employees like ****, but that doesn't matter because working at a sanctuary or with any sort of animals has been my literal dream job.
So I want to offer to work with his birds and his small animals. The first thing I want to do is bond with the aggressive macaws, which I've been reading about but would like extra advice that isn't normally touched up on an articles.
I'd also like to know how to introduce the single macaw to the other two once I bond with the macaws. I think a lot of his aggression is coming from being alone. Once the free are bonded I want to start up a GoFundMe to build them an aviary outside connected to a greenhouse for winter.
Once I work at the sanctuary I'll be a lot more active on this form and hopefully giving updates on how the birds are doing. I might even start an Instagram page just for the birds, or convince the owners to hire social media manager because they'd get way more donations if they went online.

Shortened: I want to work at a sanctuary that does not know how to handle its birds and everyone who has ever worked there is terrified of the birds. There are three macaws with behavioral issues and I want to know how to bond with them, things that aren't touched up on in most articles. I also want to Bond the pair of macaws with a single macaw, advice?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am glad you are working for a sanctuary, but do not assume that life at home will be even remotely close at your house (as stimulation/activity/noise is so much lower in a home and right now, you are novel (even if you have been volunteering there for a few months-- that is not the same as 24/7 life with parrots in a quieter space).

Macaws and cockatoos (esp u2s and M2s) should not be in the same home, as the dander of a cockatoo is extremely unhealthy for that of a macaw. I just wish I could shout this from the roof-tops...bad idea.
I totally get the allure (cockatoos are very funny, social etc) but they are HANDS DOWN the most difficult of parrots (having cared for budgies, Amazons, macaws and greys as a kid). You should not mix powder-down and non-powder down when it comes to macaws...and it also sounds like you haven't bonded with those that you have and that means that this could get so dangerous, so fast.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ratsratsrats

Feb 21, 2021
Soon to be NC!
Parrots
Currently, none
I am glad you are working for a sanctuary, but do not assume that life at home will be even remotely close at your house (as stimulation/activity/noise is so much lower in a home and right now, you are novel (even if you have been volunteering there for a few months-- that is not the same as 24/7 life with parrots in a quieter space).

Macaws and cockatoos (esp u2s and M2s) should not be in the same home, as the dander of a cockatoo is extremely unhealthy for that of a macaw. I just wish I could shout this from the roof-tops...bad idea.
I totally get the allure (cockatoos are very funny, social etc) but they are HANDS DOWN the most difficult of parrots (having cared for budgies, Amazons, macaws and greys as a kid). You should not mix powder-down and non-powder down when it comes to macaws...and it also sounds like you haven't bonded with those that you have and that means that this could get so dangerous, so fast.

These birds are housed in the same building together and share the space with porcupines,guinea pigs, chinchillas, tortoises, kangaroos, monkeys, foxes, wolf dogs, and a couple other critters. They're more focused on the other animals and I just want to come in and help with the birds, which everyones afraid of. Maybe I can even convince the owner to get them to a proper bird sanctuary. Idk.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
As discussed in your Cockatoo thread, the "sanctuary" is problematic and needs good governance to properly care for their captives. Caring for large birds requires utmost in knowledge and skill - fear is a terrible undercurrent when working with these intelligent beings.

I've had cockatoos and macaws in the same home, many breeders, retail stores, and sanctuary/rescues do similar. Of utmost importance is quality of ventilation and cleanliness. My two macaws were housed with a pair of moluccans in finished 3-car garage (no cars, ever) with good ventilation over 15 year period.

Macaws are world champion bluffers! Yet those massive beaks are generally less likely to inflict maximal wound compared with amazons, conures, etc. Please read various threads by Birdman666, beginning with this: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
thank you for volunteering. Thank yiu fir trying to improve things!

All I know is bribes with treats , a little target training. I hope you can make things better

Most Reactions