Bonding with my new birds.

Lindzehe

Aug 22, 2022
Kentucky
Parrots
Chicken Noodle - Cockatiel hatched 6/1/2022
Hello everyone.

I recently bought two siblings, this makes week 2. Two pied babies name Chicken and Goose. They were handfed and born 6/1/22. So they are young babies.

They get along great and all that is fineā€¦but how do I get them to bond with me? How long is the process? I want to be realistic. šŸ˜…

The regular pied, Chicken, is super sweet. Steps up. Likes to preen me. Is very talkative and friendly. Immediately flock calls and wants out of cage when I get home. Likes to ride around on my shoulder.

The whiteface pied, Goose, is more timid. But on itā€™s own Goose will whistle and be vocal. Iā€™m working on step up but when I first approach Goose will hiss. I always stay still and talk to him. Then off my finger. After a little bit of talking Goose will reluctantly step up and come out of the cage. Goose isnā€™t as clingy, will fly off rather than hang out with me.

Iā€™ve been trying to sit with each for 30 mins in the am a piece and offer millet from my hand to bond. Seems to be working OK. Anything else I can do? I have 1 hour in am and they are out 2-3 hours in PM but Iā€™m doing house stuff so they just on top cage spectating and interacting with each other. I can squeeze in another 30 mins each when it comes to bonding.

Picture of each below.

Attachments

• 084423C6-76B8-4D06-936C-EDD035A84252.jpeg
    084423C6-76B8-4D06-936C-EDD035A84252.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 50

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Your babies are gorgeous!
I think you are doing wonderfully at creating a bond with them, at their own pace.
I would suggest that you keep up what you're doing, and Goose will eventually come around, but may never be like Chicken because they are all so different.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I recently got a sun conure. Heā€™s about 2 years old. Iā€™ve had him for a few weeks. He hasnā€™t bonded to myself, or my husband quite yet. Donā€™t get down on yourself these relationships take time to develop. Birds are skeptical of everything.

angels123

Oct 18, 2014
Media
toledo oh
Parrots
crimson bellied conure 3 yrs old
black capped conure 4 months old
I know this is an older thread but I just had to comment on the names you chose. Love it. I can never think of names like that

Most Reactions

Latest posts