Bonding

CourtneyBCC

Mar 28, 2021
I recently put a deposit down on a Black Cap Conure. This will be my first parrot that I've ever owned.

When I go to visit, it originally started with me holding him under my shirt but he bit and wriggled out. Our next step was to be in the aviary giving him walnuts whenever he sat close to me but he quickly discovered that he was small enough to fit through the bars of the aviary. Then we tried me sitting in front of his cage talking softly to him feeding him walnuts. I go in 6 days a week roughly 2 hours.

I would like to handle him more or snuggle. How can I gain his trust to be snuggle buddies?:green2:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
How old is he? Is he being hand raised? To me he just sounds like a typical toddler; he wants to GO GO GO! just like human kiddos they want to have FUN so think about what FUN things you can do with him. Maybe bring him small toys, etc.

Also, an aviary he can get out of sounds extremely dangerous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
safflower seeds are a better treat for a conure, even holding a millet spray.

I wouldn't try to hold him , but rather let him climb around on you.

A well socialized baby should be will to step up for you. But I wouldn't try and put under my clothes.

If you feel strongly you arent clicking, or he individually doesn't like cuddles as much as some. Your might consider waiting for a different baby. Personally i feel I can make freinds with any parrot, some just take longer.

This is a great article covers a lot if burd body language sbd behavior
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Last edited:

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
First teach him to step up, then practice laddering. This should build up his trust and comfort with you.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Holding a bird under your shirt is not a good idea in general. As adults, that would most certainly be a very hormonal setting...1) it's a shadowy space and shadowy spaces should be avoided, 2) it involves being very close to you in said dark space.
As a rule, you should stick to petting parrots on the head and neck only-- the rest tends to be sexual for them and has a big impact on behavior. Furthermore, just because a bird wants to be touched all over does not mean you should.

I have a new bird owner post that you can find in my first reply to the OP of the following post- it is long but please do read it, as there is A LOT that they do not tell you at shops/breeder's (see my reply): http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/89117-new-bird-owner-behavior-questions.html <-- it contains a lot of really important info on health, sleep and hormones (2nd reply from the top)

http://www.parrotforums.com/general...change-after-getting-your-first-big-bird.html <-- This one talks more about lifestyle changes

In terms of bonding, that just takes a lot of time, attention to body language and never forcing your bird to have contact when it is unwanted etc.

Last edited:

Most Reactions