bread and birds?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
so tiki absoultly loves bread
god she goes crazy over it
im wondering can i use bread as a treat? or could it be harmful if she eats too much of, it as a treat ill mostly use it as an out of the cage treat (she is very cagebound)
or when she flies to me?

CailynDV

Oct 26, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
im wondering can i use bread as a treat? or could it be harmful if she eats too much of, it as a treat ill mostly use it as an out of the cage treat (she is very cagebound)
or when she flies to me?
Hey,
Bread is ok for a treat if it is birdy bread with lots of nuts and vegetables but just be careful not to give her too much as it has no nutritional value if it is just normal bread and it pretty much just turns to mush. It can be used as a treat though and is a great way to introduce pellets and vegetables to your bird.😊

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Bread, especially fresh bread shouldn't be offered not even as a treat (stolen crumbles here and there won't kill Tiki). Reason is because the bread we usually eat is really sticky and could cause some trouble in digestion.

If Tiki loves bread, look into Birdie breads which are specifically made for parrots, better ingredients. Maybe try Harrison's birdie breads or google away some similar recipes!

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Bread, especially fresh bread shouldn't be offered not even as a treat (stolen crumbles here and there won't kill Tiki). Reason is because the bread we usually eat is really sticky and could cause some trouble in digestion.

If Tiki loves bread, look into Birdie breads which are specifically made for parrots, better ingredients. Maybe try Harrison's birdie breads or google away some similar recipes!
i have made some birdie bread before she absoultly loved it!
ill def start doing that again

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Guys, respectfully, above is misleading. Wholesale “bread is bad” is far to broad a statement to ever be helpful or accurate. As always, there are nuances.

Some types of bread are actually perfectly fine as treats, small amounts. Whole grain bread, for example, makes a great treat. low sodium is important as well, as always.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Guys, respectfully, above is misleading. Wholesale “bread is bad” is far to broad a statement to ever be helpful or accurate. As always, there are nuances.

Some types of bread are actually perfectly fine as treats, small amounts. Whole grain bread, for example, makes a great treat. low sodium is important as well, as always.
escatly my tought i did tons of research before i even let my bird taste a crumb of bread
the bread i give her is whole grain and low on soudiam
i was so confused when i read "it was bad"

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie

Fair enough - then not the usual white bread. That stuff ain't good not even for people to be honest..!

ριgριzυ

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
⋆✧ 𝒫𝓊𝓂𝓅𝓀𝒾𝓃 ~ 𝐹𝑒𝓂𝒶𝓁𝑒 𝒜𝓂𝑒𝓇𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒮𝒽♡𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒶𝒾𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒢𝓊𝒾𝓃𝑒𝒶-𝓅𝒾𝑔

𝒫𝑒𝒶𝓃𝓊𝓉 ~ 𝑀𝒶𝓁𝑒 𝒜𝓂𝑒𝓇𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒮𝒽🍬𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒶𝒾𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒢𝓊𝒾𝓃𝑒𝒶-𝓅𝒾𝑔 ✧⋆
beegoesbuzz
I don't know much about the toxic foods for birds, but I feel like it was answered well above^^^^^ ALSO I finally found you after so longggg, I was reading every thread little by little haha,

Julinka

Feb 3, 2017
Media

I always give each of my birds a very small piece of whole wheat bread in the mornings. They seem to look forward to it. None of them have had any problems with it. Now one of them is old and has a slight problem with digestion. A bird medical book I have recommends giving bread along with other soft foods for his condition. He still only gets a very small piece of whole wheat bread but he eats the whole piece.

parrottoys

Jul 25, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Parrots
tiny moluccan cockatoo
red tailed grey
or when she flies to me?
Bread in and of itself is not ok. It has no food value and is just empty carbs. I just posted a recipe for pancakes that can also be use in a low pan for birdie bread. Very nutritious in both forms and high in calcium when using cashew milk and pureed greens for the liquid.

Most Reactions