Bread as a treat

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
Is it bad to give my bird a little bit of bread once a week as treat? or will it be bad for him?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
As long as it’s just a little bit, once a week should be okay. I give my bird homemade bread as a treat probably once every two weeks or so and he loves it!
IMG_1075.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Depends on the type of bread, with white bread being the worst. If I was going to give my parrot bread, it would be one of these 5 grain artesian type breads. THe fewer additives, like vitamins or minerals, the better. Low or no salt added. SO many crap things in white bread, I'm surprised that people even eat the stuff.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Depends on the type of bread, with white bread being the worst. If I was going to give my parrot bread, it would be one of these 5 grain artesian type breads. THe fewer additives, like vitamins or minerals, the better. Low or no salt added. SO many crap things in white bread, I'm surprised that people even eat the stuff.
Supermarket white bread probably isn't the best but there is nothing wrong with white bread from the local bakery if you live in Australia. It's only made from a few simple ingredients, no crap added, all the nutrients are already in the grain that's used for the flour

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd will steal my bread if he can get near enough. But then he wants everything I have anyway. I eat/prepare food with him in his cage and fortunately he understands the process enough now to willingly pop into his 'house' for mealtimes on the promise of a treat when it's ready. I then make quite a show of preparing his own bowl with a pantomime act of adding stuff from my own while he jumps up and down with excitement thinking that I have added all the naughty things. I hope he never realises that he is being conned!! :ROFLMAO:

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Syd will steal my bread if he can get near enough. But then he wants everything I have anyway. I eat/prepare food with him in his cage and fortunately he understands the process enough now to willingly pop into his 'house' for mealtimes on the promise of a treat when it's ready. I then make quite a show of preparing his own bowl with a pantomime act of adding stuff from my own while he jumps up and down with excitement thinking that I have added all the naughty things. I hope he never realises that he is being conned!! :ROFLMAO:
That's so cute

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Is it bad to give my bird a little bit of bread once a week as treat? or will it be bad for him?
I wouldn't give any store bought bread honestly because there's way too much salt in it along w/other ingredients & preservatives. I would suggest buying a birdie bread mix & making that for a treat instead.

Most Reactions

Latest posts