Breaking the skin?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
So my last threads were a lot biting and the term ā€œbreaking the skinā€ came up. I am not sure if I know when a parrot bite breaks the skin.

Does it mean an open would that bleeds? If you get a scrape Iā€™d that broken skin.

Sorry if I sound weird but itā€™s a phrase I hear a lot but not sure I know what it means exactly.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Basically, if it's bleedin' , it's a bite. Salty's pointy upper beak leaves a pin prick that oozes a drop or two. But he knows the difference between that and a 'leave me alone!' nip, which does not. So do I !

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Anything that causes pain, leaves a mark with or without bleeding. That's my interpretation.

My parrots can be very careful in that. Some people call it bite pressure

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Excellent Posts above!!

Most long timers here have worked to teach their Parrots 'Bite Pressure' Training with the goal of teaching the difference between a Warning and No, and I mean NO after several Warnings.

With larger Parrots, they can break finger bones and it becomes very important to teach 'Bite Pressure' Training as accidents can happen, like a loss of balance and a grab to keep from falling.

Our DYN Amazon can break a #2 pencil with easy, but it is common for him to use his bill as a third point holding as he is stepping up from a lower level. Adjusting the amount of pressure use become very important. Amazon bites are complex as not only do they have the single very sharpe upper bill point, but the lower bill commonly have to points and skin caught between those three points, plus adding a bit of grinding and the damage can be extensive.

Point being, yes, if its bleeding, that is a bite!

Last edited:

Most Reactions