breathing difficulties

OP
P

pir8don

Jul 21, 2021
Media
Some further news: although OURBIRD was improving daily his molt moved to his head and breathing difficulties resumed with us fearing we may lose him the night before last. Chatted to our vet and he suggested that the success of the Itraconazole means spores lining airway and making it difficult for him. Clouds of something coming from his nares when he sneezed may not have been dander but spores? He wasn't sneezing the night before last but sneezed frequently last night.

Yesterday was a hard day with continious difficulty all day. We increased his nutrients and I had three rests of more than an hour with him in our darkened bedroom. This seems to have aided his survival. We normally feed pellets as his staple but we fed sunflower seeds and cashew nuts (along with other foods he loves but shouldn't have too much of) to give him the energy to cope between the rests.

Today he seems better with occasional breathing difficulties but mostly after exercise. We lift him to where he wants to go and am about to have another good rest with him.

Maybe something of help in this for others with similar problems.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Thank you for the update! I was wondering how ourbird was progressing.

Still a complicated situation, hopefully the final phase to expel the fungi from his lungs.

Wishing you the very best

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Just a thought for other parrot parents: Over the years OurBird has gently nibbled my ear lobe when he has a problem of which I am unaware. One time it was because he was having trouble breathing and I had not noticed. He did it once when there was a strong wind and we were on high bridge.

He last nibbled my ear about 5 years ago and probably just a handful of times over his life so far. Could be other parrots use the same trick or maybe its already well known? I
My 31 year old Blue Front will ever so gently nibble my ear lobe or run his beak up and down my cheek when we go for "adventures" in the car. I really think its his way of saying " thanks dad for a great time"

Jim

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
baby bird formula fed at yogurt constancy and warm. If taken can be very helpful as easy to digest and complete nutrition. Even while encouraging to still eat on own , one or two supporting feeds can be very beneficial. As adult birds crops do not stretch like a baby burds does, keep feedings small . Your size bird can take 3-8ml at a time.

Baytril antibiotics are not my favorite as they are linked with yeast or fungal overgrowth when given in several treatments. While it is broad spectrum, there are common infections it isn't effective against. It has fallen out of favor with many CAVs including mine own.

I've yet to catch up with your thread, but it seems you said you are dealing with a fungal infection, and that is tough. And a long journey to beat. So stay strong and keep fighting. Was the organism seen on stains or cultured? My knowledge is rusty and likely out if date. But if I remember its usually secondary to something else causing immune compromised. With an elderly bird that can be understandable with orgsn functions decline. But can be secondary to a bacterial infection. Was a radiograph done? Classic air sac signs are seen with severe asper infection. But also a hidden site of bacterial infection can be kidney also picked up by radiographic. But health of bird , if radiograph can't be gotten awake, and requires anesthesia then risks rewards can lead that nit being an option.

Supporting warmth is so vital, aiming fir 80-85f. I use tge sweeter hester its a chicken warmer fir baby chick's. So some type of radiant heat is available at feed stores or online. As they can be powerful radiant heat they often have to be set back from the cage, and in away they can move away if to warm. There are also sold cage warner panels market fir parrots that are smaller and not as powerful. I always include a warning to all to never use a heat lamp as deep tissue burns can happen. I only recommend radiant heat.

OP
P

pir8don

Jul 21, 2021
Media
Thanks for the new posts above. Good to hear Jim that other parrots nibble their carers ear as a message. Laurasea; you raise some very relevant issues for care during disease. Hadn't thought of using baby mix again as it was so long ago. I would like to think we will not need to use antibiotics again but the range in a smaller city in NZ South island is limited and my vets have been doing so much research without charge I am reluctant to push our luck.

Ourbird sleeps in a medium small cage with a warm cover in our bedroom. I have noticed that since heating his cage the quality of his sleep has improved enormously. He used to be restless overnight and generated noises but now he is silent unless making noises to communicate with us. He seems to know if we are awake which I still wonder at as he can't see and I don't think we make any noise. Sixth sense?

Ourbird is steadily improving while having to handle his molt as well. He is returning most of his behaviors and the tremors have reduced since completing the med. He is still pretty clingy but there have been a few occasions when he has allowed me out of his sight. Hopefully he will recover more of his independence in time.

His 27th birthday is next week on 2nd October and we feel so blessed to still have him with us. Thanks again to everyone on this site for your concern and advice. Would be pleased to participate more and contribute if Ourbird and us have anything to offer.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you for a lovely, optimistic update. Kudos for moving mountains ensuring Ourbird's care and longevity!! This space always open for news!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts