Breathing difficulty/ Choking?

Fujiconure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Here I am posting again about my silly birdie. Fuji has been doing good since his last vet visit, acting entirely normal! He is playful, eating and drinking plenty, poops are normal etc.

A few minutes ago though, he started breathing weirdly. It was very sudden- just loud, rapid sounding breathing or something of the sort. I was ready to call an emergency vet- but then it stopped. Completely back to normal within a minute. While it was happening he was still active, flying away from me (He thought he was going into the cage lol, he hates that) and now I am stuck on what to do.

I believe he was eating when it started- and he'd recently had a bath. Was he maybe choking on something and dislodged the object? I will be calling my avian vet tomorrow for advice regardless, but for now- do you think he will be okay?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Here I am posting again about my silly birdie. Fuji has been doing good since his last vet visit, acting entirely normal! He is playful, eating and drinking plenty, poops are normal etc.

A few minutes ago though, he started breathing weirdly. It was very sudden- just loud, rapid sounding breathing or something of the sort. I was ready to call an emergency vet- but then it stopped. Completely back to normal within a minute. While it was happening he was still active, flying away from me (He thought he was going into the cage lol, he hates that) and now I am stuck on what to do.

I believe he was eating when it started- and he'd recently had a bath. Was he maybe choking on something and dislodged the object? I will be calling my avian vet tomorrow for advice regardless, but for now- do you think he will be okay?
You should bring him to a CAV. Mouth breathing is very serious in parrots, even if it does go away.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Yup. We on PF are not vets, and this needs one.

OP
Fujiconure

Fujiconure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Sometimes my Amazons when frightened sound like they have asthma or something .
It always goes away when whatever they were scared of is removed.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

It almost sounds like he had a panic attack when you were trying to get him in his cage. That happens; it’s not fun but it’s also not the end of the world. Pionus certainly wheeze when they get excited or upset; Quakers may head bob and regurgitate. This just means they’re a bit too excited and need to settle down.

When birds are stressed out they can do concerning things like wheeze or flop around. I usually assess what the bird is doing when he’s not frightened or really mad or completely exhausted. If he’s returned to normal perhaps you should watch and see if and when the wheeze happens.

OP
Fujiconure

Fujiconure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Sometimes my Amazons when frightened sound like they have asthma or something .
It always goes away when whatever they were scared of is removed.
It almost sounds like he had a panic attack when you were trying to get him in his cage. That happens; it’s not fun but it’s also not the end of the world. Pionus certainly wheeze when they get excited or upset; Quakers may head bob and regurgitate. This just means they’re a bit too excited and need to settle down.

When birds are stressed out they can do concerning things like wheeze or flop around. I usually assess what the bird is doing when he’s not frightened or really mad or completely exhausted. If he’s returned to normal perhaps you should watch and see if and when the wheeze happens.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond! I think maybe something like that was the cause- I called my CAV and was told to monitor for now, since nothing else was up and he had returned to normal- and the clinic is right around the corner. So far, so good! Nothing out of the ordinary has happened again!

Either way I'm being hypervigilant, it's always stressful when dealing with potentially sick parrots >.< I appreciate the reassurance!

Most Reactions

Latest posts