Breeders in Maryland, Virginia, DC?

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Are there any breeders in the DC metro area that are willing to let me come into their home and see their setups and ask questions.

I'm not looking to make a living at breeding. I just want to ask questions and see a set up and if my couples have babies I want to know what to do. I've looked on line and I don't like what I see and that isn't hands on experience either.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
sorry Dopey but most of the breeders i know in your area are in Southern Va or the eastern shore. have you looked on birdbreeders.com ?? Search by state or even species. Don't just look under available birds but the list of breeders and their contact info. you might want to see if there's any brokers in your area and then contact them about what ever species breeders you're interested in.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Check out DJ feathers aviary in VA, in the shadow of Dulles. I think they are more brokers than breeders, but they enjoy a good reputation and are very generous with their time and knowledge. When I went I wasn't quite so serious about buying since I didn't know what species I might want so I didn't ask many question about their operations. But the owner Terry spent almost an hour just chatting with me, introducing me to some of the species.

Power of observation: They often have a great selection, birds all looked well cared for, and the place was clean. I think they would be more than willing to spend whatever time with you you might want and answer any questions you might have about their operations.

Last edited:

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Birdie Brains Aviary is located near Richmond, Va.

ChocoboFun

Mar 21, 2015
East Coast U.S.
Parrots
Perry: Standard green and yellow budgie.
Peep: Blue and white budgie.
Harvey: Hahn's Macaw
If you do go, pay close attention to cleanliness. I've noticed a fair number of roaches skittering around at local places.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
BBA is super clean. She's usually looking for volunteers to help socialize the babies, so that would be the perfect opportunity.

Most Reactions

Latest posts