Bringing our baby home tomorrow

Piedpiper

Nov 19, 2021
Parrots
Parrotlet
Hi
thanks for letting me join!
tomorrow we are getting our first bird. A 9-10? Week old green pied parrotlet.
cage is set up….has toys. Food , water….
any tips on welcoming baby ?
thank you

Attachments

• 68736968-3332-4882-A9DA-A585A9348E6D.jpeg
    68736968-3332-4882-A9DA-A585A9348E6D.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Big wing hugs and warm welcome to you!
We are happy that you are here.

What is his/her name?
What an adorable weaned baby
.....but if you could ask your breader to teach you how to hand feed the baby, with a syringe or a spoon, there are many advantages.

1 the stress of moving will reduce
2 Baby food has probiotic to help with digestion
3 introduction of various food is easier when you mix it with baby food. During first month, I mixed boiled yolk, pumpkin, sweet potato, beans, one by one with baby food before feeding. So that Emerald would eat many food varieties.
4 when adult bird get sick, we can feed baby food as it is easy on digestion
5 when we have to give medicine, it is given by syringe as well, so we already familiar with it.

Always feed on the side ways, that is from one cheek to another. Since the airway and digestive track is side by side, accidental spill on to the airway is dangerous. Hence, food should flow very slowly and in small amount to the side of the beak to let the baby swallow or spill out.

Good training time is when he is most alert. That is morning and before sunset. It's also when he is most hungry. So treat would be more appreciated. (Plus Let him have his nap in the afternoon.)

With time to build trust, you will eventually bond with him. So using simple commands and step up onto your finger
Will be fun to do together.

But first thing first,
Here's what I would do....
.....follow his pace, let him settle down
.....talk to him calmly, sing, whistle
.....say routine short words repeatedly to get him to familiarize to you. And later, to understand you.
eg.
It's all right
Good morning
Good night
Yummy (as you take your meal)

A breakthrough clue is if he start eating when he see you eat. You are a friend. And you can proceed to simple commands like
......1 stick training
2 step up to a perch
(I saw a lovebird saying "up" before stepping up on a perch, so cute)
3 step up on yourfinger
(in order of difficulty)
....call his name often
....keep him in a small cage with at least one side to a wall or a corner where he feels safe but can observe you.
....eat where he can see you

This is for the beginning until he eat when you eat. (Some younger birds takes a few days, stubborn older birds takes months)

Then move his cage to where you do your things, in the middle of the room, to be closer to you and your family.

OP
Piedpiper

Piedpiper

Nov 19, 2021
Parrots
Parrotlet
Big wing hugs and warm welcome to you!
We are happy that you are here.

What is his/her name?
What an adorable weaned baby
.....but if you could ask your breader to teach you how to hand feed the baby, with a syringe or a spoon, there are many advantages.

1 the stress of moving will reduce
2 Baby food has probiotic to help with digestion
3 introduction of various food is easier when you mix it with baby food. During first month, I mixed boiled yolk, pumpkin, sweet potato, beans, one by one with baby food before feeding. So that Emerald would eat many food varieties.
4 when adult bird get sick, we can feed baby food as it is easy on digestion
5 when we have to give medicine, it is given by syringe as well, so we already familiar with it.

Always feed on the side ways, that is from one cheek to another. Since the airway and digestive track is side by side, accidental spill on to the airway is dangerous. Hence, food should flow very slowly and in small amount to the side of the beak to let the baby swallow or spill out.

Good training time is when he is most alert. That is morning and before sunset. It's also when he is most hungry. So treat would be more appreciated. (Plus Let him have his nap in the afternoon.)

With time to build trust, you will eventually bond with him. So using simple commands and step up onto your finger
Will be fun to do together.

But first thing first,
Here's what I would do....
.....follow his pace, let him settle down
.....talk to him calmly, sing, whistle
.....say routine short words repeatedly to get him to familiarize to you. And later, to understand you.
eg.
It's all right
Good morning
Good night
Yummy (as you take your meal)

A breakthrough clue is if he start eating when he see you eat. You are a friend. And you can proceed to simple commands like
......1 stick training
2 step up to a perch
(I saw a lovebird saying "up" before stepping up on a perch, so cute)
3 step up on yourfinger
(in order of difficulty)
....call his name often
....keep him in a small cage with at least one side to a wall or a corner where he feels safe but can observe you.
....eat where he can see you

This is for the beginning until he eat when you eat. (Some younger birds takes a few days, stubborn older birds takes months)

Then move his cage to where you do your things, in the middle of the room, to be closer to you and your family.
Thank you for your helpful response !
. I have 4 chickens …they always have one ailment or another…stuck egg, molt, summer heat, winter cold, bumblefoot,…im used to syringes.
Thank goodness for them right.

the cage I have is a dividable flight cage. It’s big, 36” x 20“ x 20”,..but I can close off one side. Should I do that for a month or so ?
my big concern is….I live in a pretty large house. I spend most of my time in the kitchen and family room, and I’m in and out into the yard with my lab, and th4 chickens. this area of our house has a lot of large tall , wide windows and cathedral ceiling. If I ever let hEr fly free….she could either crash into a window…too big for me to cover (15 feet tall)…and too high for me to catch her. I can just picture her up there on the beams laughing at me.
i was thinking of putting her in a large bedroom and visiting her often. It would be safe for some free flying time.
I don’t even think she can fly yet….I think she just started eating in her own.
would it be ok for her up there? The drawback…she wouldn’t be near us most of the time unless I visited her a few times a day. And it’s very quiet.
if I leave her cage down here, where I am most of the time….for free flights , I would have to cup her in my hand to avoid the window and ceiling issue, and bring her upstairs to a safe bedroom to fly for awhile ,
I know the guides say don’t stick your hand in their cage,…but stepping up (some day)…may lead to a serious window crash.
‘ugh.
im thinking of naming her Olive or Floozy

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
let your new one guide you. Some hand raised ones, want to cuddle and get comfort from you the first day , so do. Or if a little overwhelmed sit near and talk, stay near until you see them relax and explore Cage, but don't be 100% focused on them , read or something.

Like a above , I start saying good birdie whenever they eat or preen, or do anything that makes them happy. To start linking good birdie with feeling good and happy and positive.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I read that birds fly into windows because they can not see whether it is open or close due to the glass.

To prevent such accidents, we help Emerald by telling her where the glass windows are. I put her on my left hand, and bring her face close to the glass while I tap on the surface with my right่hand. She remembered and never flew into a window, opened (by accident) or closed.

We, only had to show her to each and every closed windows in the room, by tapping. We didn't put any color sticker. I was surprised she remembered so well. Emerald had never had her wing clipped,
had never had any accident from flying.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Always remember - parrotlets believe they are as big as macaws, which frequently gets them into trouble. I saw a parrotlet try to bully a Cockatoo once. That did not end well. THey are bold with a capitol B, and fearless. Wishing your good luck with yours and we do expect lots of pictures!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
Piedpiper

Piedpiper

Nov 19, 2021
Parrots
Parrotlet

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
awww!!!! Pretty pretty! Congratulations!!!!
Names
Mistletoe
Noel
Jolly
Holly
Green bean
Sweet pea
Cricket
Blitzen
Cupid
Tiny Dancer
Misty Green