Broken blood feather help!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
For those who remember me- I have been MIA for so long because our life has gone in a horrible direction I never imagined. My son, myself and Kiwi have been living in air bnbs for a few weeks and today on the drive to the latest, I guess Kiwi mustā€™ve broken a blood feather somehow. It was actually really hard to identify where the blood came from. Thereā€™s a few drops of blood on the paper towels on the bottom of the pack-o-bird but the feather isnā€™t bleeding anymore. I have no tools to remove it here. Is it ok to just leave it alone if itā€™s no longer actively bleeding?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
If you have any bird-safe styptic power or kwik stop, you could use that for bleeding, but you said he stopped bleeding. He should be okay for now, but watch that feather for a little while.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
So great to see you back, April, although I wish it was under better circumstances. Never had the pleasure of broken blood feathers, but I know it's typical to pull it to stop the bleeding. Personally, I'm not comfortable with pulling a feather myself, and I'd be crushed if doing it damaged the bond with my guys. Good that it's stopped for now, but there's that potential to start up again if it gets bumped or chewed. Are there any vet offices, breeders, groomers, etc. near where you are that could help? Otherwise, if you're able to do it yourself, is there a store where you can get what you need?

I know I'm probably not much help here, but for me, I'd feel safer getting that blood feather out. Hopefully folks with more experience will jump in soon.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I've had to do both pulling a blood feather and sometimes you can just add pressure and it will stop. Put a white paper towel down on the bottom of her cage so you identify if there is an active bleed.

Mariam0203

Oct 28, 2021
Parrots
Cockateils and Parakeets
I've had a lot of birds break blood feathers and if it's still actively bleeding when you notice it, you can apply cornstarch or flour to stop the bleeding. I personally am not a fan of pulling out a blood feather, but if it continues to start bleeding again every few days then it should be removed. Other than that applying pressure on it with a cotton ball and putting some flour on it should be fine.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Of course we remember you! O hate hearing thst things have been hard lately. We are always here to support you. If you need to you can post in off topic.

I have a pair of hemostats, if I ever need to pull one. Buts its bern over 10 years since I have. As someone else said I've used flour fir bleeds with good success. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Prayers that your whole life improves

Most Reactions