Broken hearted

2conures

Mar 20, 2021
Yesterday we brought our conure to the local store where we purchased him to have a nail trim. We have taken our other conure there before. Kiwi, our conure was held in a towel while he was clipping his nails, and during this process he died. My two young girls and I were right there when it happened. We were so shocked and stunned. They pet store owner was in tears. I know it truly was an accident, they are so fragile. We havenā€™t lost a parrot until now. He was such a loving unique bird. I canā€™t tell you the loss we all feel. Just needed to vent to people who understand that connection. ā¤ļø

Attachments

• AEB38EBB-8F61-43B3-8B27-2F47340A4380.jpeg
    AEB38EBB-8F61-43B3-8B27-2F47340A4380.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 117
  • B9B09F87-659E-4B69-B721-454FBC41A970.jpeg
    B9B09F87-659E-4B69-B721-454FBC41A970.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 119

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I am so, so sorry for your loss. Losing a bird because of somebody else's mistake seems like the worst thing ever. He was such a handsome boy and he was so lucky to have spent any time with you at all. Over the Rainbow Bridge Kiwi, you will be missed.

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Yesterday we brought our conure to the local store where we purchased him to have a nail trim. We have taken our other conure there before. Kiwi, our conure was held in a towel while he was clipping his nails, and during this process he died. My two young girls and I were right there when it happened. We were so shocked and stunned. They pet store owner was in tears. I know it truly was an accident, they are so fragile. We havenā€™t lost a parrot until now. He was such a loving unique bird. I canā€™t tell you the loss we all feel. Just needed to vent to people who understand that connection. ā¤ļø
I am deeply sorry. šŸ’” Sending you a big hug. I know Kiwi brought your family many smiles and that you gave him a wonderful life.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh wow, this is just so terribly sad! Knowing that it was an accident does not make it hurt any less, and I'm just so very sorry for your loss. My most sincere condolences and many hugs go out to you and your girls.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Kiwi, until we all meet again šŸ™

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for the unexpected, tragic passing of Kiwi. I cannot begin to comprehend your despair having lost him during an unfortunate accident. Kiwi was a gorgeous photogenic boy, may his memories bring comfort to you and your girls.

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 ā€“ August 14, 2021
That is absolutely heartbreaking. All my sympathies and care go out to you. Please know that you are not alone in the experience of the pain šŸ˜“ šŸ˜“ šŸ˜“ šŸŒ¹

Julinka

Feb 3, 2017
Media
So sorry. He was a beautiful bird. I heard of a young Macaw with no apparent problems also dying when he was taken to the vet for a nail trim. The owner was so sorry she took him in but what can a person do? They need the care at times. They are so fragile. My parrot hated the vet and would not talk to me for days after I took her in.

parrottoys

Jul 25, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Parrots
tiny moluccan cockatoo
red tailed grey
I am deeply sorry for this terrible loss. Had he ever had a nail clipped before? If not I suspect he had a heart attack from being terrified and handled by a stranger. If you should get another bird at some point in the future, you can learn positive reinforcement training at http://www.BehaviorWorks.com which is the site of Dr. Susan Friedman the go to person for positive reinforcement. What happens is that you show the trimmer to the bird... no reaction from a distance say Good or use a clicker and then provide a little reward. You go BABY step by BABY step by BABY step until the bird is desensitized to the clipper and the towel. You can also get live help with your questions on Evidence Based Parrot Training on FB.

bonton036

Nov 18, 2012
I'm so sorry :(

firstknight117

Apr 28, 2021

Very sorry for your loss like everyone here. I completely understand what you are going through, as I lost my sweet conure Maverick at the end of April. I came here to ParrotForums and the people here were really the only ones who understood the grief of losing a bird. and helped me through it. I still miss Maverick, and hope you all find some solace and comfort here.

Kiwi will be waiting for you all at the Rainbow Bridge:: Godspeed to him!

OP

2conures

Mar 20, 2021
Very sorry for your loss like everyone here. I completely understand what you are going through, as I lost my sweet conure Maverick at the end of April. I came here to ParrotForums and the people here were really the only ones who understood the grief of losing a bird. and helped me through it. I still miss Maverick, and hope you all find some solace and comfort here.

Kiwi will be waiting for you all at the Rainbow Bridge:: Godspeed to him!
Thank you so much for all your kind words. It really helps to have others who understand the pain. The support has been so helpful! We miss him so much! šŸ’”

Most Reactions