Broken tail feather

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
HI folks

one of Solo’s tail feathers has snapped in half, this happened about a month ago too
anyway it’s an old one that needs replacing. There’s no blood through it and it’s just hanging by a tiny little bit of dry shaft.
he has been preening his tail a fair bit today especially this feather, but he hasn’t pulled/bitten it apart yet.
should I cut it off at the break or just let him preen it off. I expect he will be left with a 2 inch stubb like the last one, until it falls out.
he has already got a new pin feather in his tail (I saw it in the shower)
he’s is ‘tame‘ but not really an accepting calm character and I may stress/anger him by trying to get to his tail.
grateful for your advise x

Last edited:
OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Let him molt it out naturally. If it isnt causing him any problems there's no reason to remove it and cause stress.
thank you owlet, that is what I was thinking; to Just leave it alone. Ive left the other stub alone To moult out.
It was only that half of it is hanging loose, that made me wonder If to cut it at the break/snap.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I doubt it would matter if you cut it at the break. I would think your bird might chew or pull it off there anyhow.

As you wrote, the feather is old and dead.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
I doubt it would matter if you cut it at the break. I would think your bird might chew or pull it off there anyhow.

As you wrote, the feather is old and dead.
Yes that’s right Heather, it’s one of the ones he came with; its hollow shaft and dry. I’ll let him finish sorting it out. He was trying earlier. Thank you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I only mess with broken feathers if the bird seems really annoyed and is not having success fixing the problem. Maybe I’d be more likely if the bird had a feather chewing issue.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Just to let you all know, it did completely snap, but then the vanes twisted around the one next to it. Anyway he managed to untangle it and I found it on the floor.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Yay one of the broken stumps fell out. (He has 2 stumps)

Most Reactions

Latest posts