Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
I made a batch of organic cooked veggies today for the birds I added Brousel Sprouts , Kale , Carrots cooked and uncooked, Brocli , Coliflower , Butternut Squash , Sweet Potatoe ,Peas ,Brown Rice and some green peppers ok right after I make this I get a call from a friend that breeds parrots and she tells me Brousel Sprouts are bad for parrots any type of cabbage is bad because it gives them gas
I need to know if this is true , I made 4 quart size bags of this mix anyone know about this ?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I always give my lovebirds and parrotlets whatever vegetable I'm having for dinner, and that often is brussel sprouts. I just cut up a couple raw leaves very fine and they seem to relish it - and I have to say I have never smelled a parrotlet fart ! lol I think if you are giving the birds brussel sprouts in moderation that it's not a problem.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Given that brussels sprouts are in the cabbage (Brassica) family, so along with broccoli, cauliflower, choy sum, kale etc it's hard to see how those horrible little musket balls (as I call them- wife is Asian but loves them, weird eh) could be harmful for birds, as long as they're fed in moderation. We give our eccies the stalk part of broccoli (since we prefer to eat the florets;)) and they eat it with relish (actually, they have it without relish but they certainly like it, sounds silly but many of our birds are mad on my wife's hot chili sauce :)). The main reason we don't feed them Brussels sprouts is that they are a cold-climate crop and we live far from where they're grown, so we only ever buy them frozen.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
I'm sure they're not too bad. Beans give me gas but I still eat em.

brussels sprouts, brussels sprouts,
they are bland and tart,
the more you eat,
the more your parrot farts.

Teehee :54:

Last edited:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon