Budgie body language question/itching?

Midnightstarian

Feb 24, 2018
Parrots
I have a budgie, he loves playing with bells and watching me on the computer while i'm drawing. Always making sure to stop in for cuddles every couple seconds he is adorable. His name is tinker.
Hello i had ventured to the pet store to get my first bird a budgie
I was told he is 8 weeks old and they had just got them in as a shipment.
So my little budgie has been home for about Two days already he started chirping on occasion around the second day of him being home. When i go in to change the water or food i go slowly so he can get used to me. Before getting him i did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos, although the one thing i'm struggling with the most is body language so i wanted to be extra cautious and give my budgie gears a happy life. My question is this: He has been fluffing up his body and sometimes when i'm sitting with him (Without my hands in cage) or even if i walk in the door i'll catch him putting his wings out a couple times, almost like stretching but sometimes like he wants to fly but doesn't.
Then i noticed him using his foot to itch himself. but is it him just itching feathers like a person sometimes needs a scratch or is there something wrong?
(I've considered going to the vet for a check up soon anyways)
But for the moment anyone have any idea whats happening? And yes i'm still working on learning body language. Ironically this may help me given my aspergers i can't read people as it is and it may be nice to learn something else maybe it'll encourage me to learn people eventually. Even though that's different of course. :whiteblue:

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
The stretching and itching is normal.
What do you mean by he's been fluffing up his body? Do you mean he gets fluffy and then shakes? Do you mean he always has his feathers fluffed?

Sent from my Galaxy s8

OP
Midnightstarian

Midnightstarian

Feb 24, 2018
Parrots
I have a budgie, he loves playing with bells and watching me on the computer while i'm drawing. Always making sure to stop in for cuddles every couple seconds he is adorable. His name is tinker.
Yea, he is fluffing and then it goes back to normal not like he's cold
just fluffing up his feathers and itching then just chilling. Not sure how to describe that. I feel silly ^^;;

OP
Midnightstarian

Midnightstarian

Feb 24, 2018
Parrots
Thanks, sense then i found a page on budgies and body language and printed it out so i have the pages when i need them. Who ever made it added pictures which is also helpful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts