Budgie boy or girl?

Tom92

Dec 10, 2019
Hi all,
My girlfriend has a budgie and it's supposed to be a boy but she spoke to a lady who works in a pet shop and she told her that it's a girl. If it's a girl, shouldn't it be laying eggs like any female bird?
We are a bit confused and would appreciate some help
Thanks, here's a picture:
https://imgur.com/a/tz5UDcv

I used to have cockatiels and the female one laid eggs every month even when she was alone for years. Is it the same for budgies?

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

I'm not an expert on budgies, so hopefully someone will be along soon enough to help in terms of gender identification. But I did want to let you know that chronic egg-laying is not actually a healthy thing. Laying eggs draws heavily from the resources of the body, most notably calcium. So doing so every month would be a terrible strain on their bodies.

For the most part, birds identified with this tendency are not used by responsible breeders in their breeding programs, in hopes of avoiding the issue in further generations. So, if your budgie is indeed female, it's a good thing that she is not laying eggs by herself.

OP
T

Tom92

Dec 10, 2019
She never laid any eggs. I was talking about the cockatiels I used to have. She laid eggs almost every month.

Gemster

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
When females are in breeding condition the cere will be brown. If a female is not in breeding condition they will have a white and light blue cere.
When males are in breeding condition the cere will be a bright blue or pink, depending on the mutation. If a male is not in breeding condition the cere will be a dull purpleish blue or a dull pink. (This guide is only for mature budgies)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
She never laid any eggs. I was talking about the cockatiels I used to have. She laid eggs almost every month.

Yes, I understood that. I'm saying chronic egg-laying is not healthy for any bird. So it is a good thing that your budgie is not laying eggs.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I was going with female as well. Our ~1yr male (green/black) has a deep rich blue/purple cere.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I was going with female as well. Our ~1yr male (green/black) has a deep rich blue/purple cere.
Your male doesn't matter because he is green. Lutino mutation never has any blue colors - including cere. But your sugestion about female is probably right because lutino males cere is more pinkish (but never blue)

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Your bird is definitely a hen. I have had several budgie hens who never laid an egg in their entire lives. If they do not have a nest or other breeding stimulation, they may not lay eggs.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Your male doesn't matter because he is green. Lutino mutation never has any blue colors - including cere. But your sugestion about female is probably right because lutino males cere is more pinkish (but never blue)

All budgies matter :green2: It's always been interesting trying to sex by color of cere because they all can seem to have some shade of pink blue or white, depending on some factors like you and Gemster mention.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure

All budgies matter :green2: It's always been interesting trying to sex by color of cere because they all can seem to have some shade of pink blue or white, depending on some factors like you and Gemster mention.
In this case all parrots have matter when we talk about lutino budgies gender[emoji38]

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Last edited:
OP
T

Tom92

Dec 10, 2019
Thanks everyone. Other forums also confirmed she's female.

Most Reactions

Latest posts