Budgie calls

NovaGirl

Dec 3, 2022
Parrots
budgie
Hey guys,
I am a very very new bird owner.
I got my budgie nova 4 days ago. I want to make sure that she is settling in ok and am curious when she is comofortable vs when she is stressed. One thing I have noticed today is that she will go from very soft chatter to a couple of loud sqwuaks/screeches then back to chatter. Just wondering what this means. Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not an expert in Budgie language, but with our Amazon the difference commonly has to do with interactiveness with the group. The chatter is just that lite interaction where the louder calls tend to be notice me, I am over here, where are you. Sometimes referred to as contact calls.

In all cases, join-in the social activities, understanding that birds are in a near on-going interaction with the rest of the social group.
fyi: Welcome to Parrot Forum!!

Alliegmarcin

Aug 24, 2021
Massachusetts
Parrots
Parrotlet named Quito
Parakeet named Clara
Soft chatter definitely means she is happy!
Loud squawks could also mean the same thing, but it sort of depends. Mine will squawk loudly when she wants more food in her bowl or to be let out of the cage.
Loud squawks could also mean she is scared/stressed, but these are usually easily to tell apart from happy squawks. I would just look up online 'what do budgie noises mean' and listen to a few clips to compare to your bird's noises.

Hope that helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts