Budgie Diet

Budgielover93

Mar 14, 2022
Parrots
1 Yellowface Budgie
1 Dilute Budgie
So i have 2 budgies I just bought from petsmart this week. And i have been looking into giving them a proper diet instead of just and all seed diet. I been looking at pellets. So of course prices may vary depending on where you live and what your buying for pellets. But my question is how much pellets do you buy a month and how much do you put in the bowl when you fill it up if your gonna be filling up the bowl everyday.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, I would buy a small bag of a pound or two and store most of it in the fridge if you have room.

Budgies only eat a tiny amount and it goes stale or rancid if it sits at room temp for too long.

It may take a while for them to switch from seeds to pellets. This is because if you put pellets in the fish your birds won’t recognize that it’s food right away. They need to be slowly convinced. This is an adaptation of wild birds that helps them avoid eating something poisonous or get into a trap.

You only need to put a small amount of pellets in the dish. Figure out how much they eat in a day and only put that amount in the dish. As it sits out it gets stale and less crunchy. Like eating soggy cookies. Nobody wants to eat soggy cookies! Also you waste less if you only feed about how much the bird eats each day. I use a medication measuring cup (like comes on NyQuil or kids medication bottles) to measure the small amount of food each day or two.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So i have 2 budgies I just bought from petsmart this week. And i have been looking into giving them a proper diet instead of just and all seed diet. I been looking at pellets. So of course prices may vary depending on where you live and what your buying for pellets. But my question is how much pellets do you buy a month and how much do you put in the bowl when you fill it up if your gonna be filling up the bowl everyday.
I believe budgies should have a diet of 15-25% of seeds, 15-30% pellets, and the rest are veggies, sprouts, and a bit of fruit.

As stated above, only put in what they eat in a day. Mine eat about 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of food in a serving.

For my budgies I buy in bulk as it saves a lot of money and time. I think for 2 budgies 1-3 KG is enough for a few months(take my advice like a grain of salt as I don't own only 2-3 bugies)

I recommend brands like roudybush(I used it before), TOP's, Harrisons(I've never used these but a lot of people do)and Lafebers(many people use this as well).

You don't need pellets though, I actually recommend a diet with seeds, grains etc as a base, only if you can though.

Cheers!

-Anè

Last edited:

ChrisH123

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Meyers Parrot
Our budgie was hard to transition, so I added Harrisons Fine Mash to the seed mix (it's their pellets ground up). That way they're at least getting a taste of the pellets while rooting around for the seeds. I also used a seed mix that had some dried fruits and veggies in it so they were getting exposed to that as well.

You can also start providing a bowl or skewer of fresh veggies on the side every day. They may also like small bunches of greens, wet and hung in the cage for some foraging "bath" time fun.

I would suggest trying sprouts as well. Since they look like seeds they're more likely to give them a try (and they're very nutritious).

Parakeets don't eat much (usually under a Tablespoon a day). So start with a small bag and see how it goes.

Tiki Bird

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgies / Parakeets
On a related note, can't get mine to try greens or fruit. Just leave it in the cage for them to explore?

ChrisH123

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Meyers Parrot
On a related note, can't get mine to try greens or fruit. Just leave it in the cage for them to explore?

Yea, I'd leave it at least a few hours. Keep trying. They can be stubborn. LOL!

Try pretending to eat it yourself before you put it in the cage (say "yum" and make a big deal of it being yummy). Also try big pieces on skewers, tiny chopped pieces in bowls. Try dried, steamed and raw foods. Keep an eye on what they're interested in so you can serve other foods the same way.

Most Reactions

Latest posts