Budgie doest play nicely with cockatiel

BinxyBoop

Jul 26, 2022
Parrots
2 cockatiels (Bon Bon and Dennis, 4 Budgies (Trix, Keanu, Charlie, Opal)
Hello! I am new around these parts. I come seeking wisdom. I am a proud budgie parent to four rambunctious little boys who all get along well. They have been a member of our family for about two years. They have been an absolute joy! We decided about 2 months ago to adopt two cocateils. Our budgies share a large cage in our livingroom and our cocateils share a large cage on the other side of the livingroom. We have slowly introduced the budgies to the cocateils and generally they all go about their own business with no problems, however, our boy Trix is absolutely mean to our cocateil Bon Bon. He bites her feet, jumps on her back and pecks her head, chases her around while she hisses and lunges to bite him back. He does this completely unprovoked. Bon Bon ignores Trix until he gets a crazy feather and decides to cause a ruckus with Bon Bon. I'm worried about both of them. I've began restricting their shared out of cage time in am effort to eliminate the chance of them hurting each other, but this worries me as well because I want them to be as free as they want to be. Is there anything I can do to help them get along?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello! I am new around these parts. I come seeking wisdom. I am a proud budgie parent to four rambunctious little boys who all get along well. They have been a member of our family for about two years. They have been an absolute joy! We decided about 2 months ago to adopt two cocateils. Our budgies share a large cage in our livingroom and our cocateils share a large cage on the other side of the livingroom. We have slowly introduced the budgies to the cocateils and generally they all go about their own business with no problems, however, our boy Trix is absolutely mean to our cocateil Bon Bon. He bites her feet, jumps on her back and pecks her head, chases her around while she hisses and lunges to bite him back. He does this completely unprovoked. Bon Bon ignores Trix until he gets a crazy feather and decides to cause a ruckus with Bon Bon. I'm worried about both of them. I've began restricting their shared out of cage time in am effort to eliminate the chance of them hurting each other, but this worries me as well because I want them to be as free as they want to be. Is there anything I can do to help them get along?
Sometimes, birds just don't like each other. Each time they get along well, reward them with treats, and if the budgie bites him, say in a firm voice(not shouting, just firmly), "No." Or "Be gentle."

Most Reactions

Latest posts