Budgie food

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
Hi I currently feed my budgies these foods as well as fresh fruit and vegetables not much luck with them eating the fresh. They were only fed seeds when I bought them. Any advice is this is ok for them only had them 4 weeks. They are about 5 months old now.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 12

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Do they eat those pellets? If they do then I think that's fine for them! My budgies are very picky when it comes to their fresh foods and I have to mix in their pellets with it to get them to eat it. Some things they really love, like broccoli, and I find the smaller the pieces the more likely they are to eat it.

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
They are not touching anything fresh, and as for the pellets I don’t think much is being eaten . Have ordered mash pellets to see if that make any difference, at the moment only really interested in seeds and millet.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
They are not touching anything fresh, and as for the pellets I don’t think much is being eaten . Have ordered mash pellets to see if that make any difference, at the moment only really interested in seeds and millet.
Mine love harrisons lifetime mash, either dry or mixed with water. If I could afford it then I'd give it to them as their main food, but all 8 of my birds love it so I give them a little bit each day and bulk out their diet with fresh food. At the moment I've been mixing it with their chop and they've been eating most of it (including the vegetables) so that might work with yours as well!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi I currently feed my budgies these foods as well as fresh fruit and vegetables not much luck with them eating the fresh. They were only fed seeds when I bought them. Any advice is this is ok for them only had them 4 weeks. They are about 5 months old now.
These are some of the best foods for budgies. I love Harrisons superfine high potency pellets. Just the right size for budgies. When I hand raised my budgie Rocky they were the first adult bird food I gave her (I mixed them into her baby formula) and almost a year later she still eats them. Oats groats are a huge hit. All my budgies love them. They also like them cooked in their chop. They are fattening but your budgies live in an aviary so they can get lots of daily exercise flying. Don't give up on trying to get your budgies to eat a good diet. It's tempting to just give them what they want (millet) but keep trying. Even if one or two of them eat the good stuff it's worth it.
Are you planning to breed your budgies? If not. How are you going to prevent it with that many budgies in an aviary?

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
These are some of the best foods for budgies. I love Harrisons superfine high potency pellets. Just the right size for budgies. When I hand raised my budgie Rocky they were the first adult bird food I gave her (I mixed them into her baby formula) and almost a year later she still eats them. Oats groats are a huge hit. All my budgies love them. They also like them cooked in their chop. They are fattening but your budgies live in an aviary so they can get lots of daily exercise flying. Don't give up on trying to get your budgies to eat a good diet. It's tempting to just give them what they want (millet) but keep trying. Even if one or two of them eat the good stuff it's worth it.
Are you planning to breed your budgies? If not. How are you going to prevent it with that many budgies in an aviary?
I am using Harrison pellets I am now trying Harrisons mash to see if they will eat that, as for fresh will continue trying hopefully they will try at some point. I give the oats groats as well. Not planning to breed as new to this only had them 4 weeks but they are 5 months old now. Breeder said don’t put nest boxes in and they shouldn’t breed. I only had aviary built because I found 2 week old baby magpie and had him for 130 days before rescue could come get him.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
Mine love harrisons lifetime mash, either dry or mixed with water. If I could afford it then I'd give it to them as their main food, but all 8 of my birds love it so I give them a little bit each day and bulk out their diet with fresh food. At the moment I've been mixing it with their chop and they've been eating most of it (including the vegetables) so that might work with yours as well!
I am using Harrison pellets I am now trying Harrisons mash to see if they will eat that, as for fresh will continue trying hopefully they will try at some point. I give the oats groats as well. Not planning to breed as new to this only had them 4 weeks but they are 5 months old now. Breeder said don’t put nest boxes in and they shouldn’t breed. I only had aviary built because I found 2 week old baby magpie and had him for 130 days before rescue could come get him.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 11

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
I have a male budgie and three females in the same cage and they don't breed because I haven't put a nest box in, so it can definitely be done. I think you're looking after them really well!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Do keep an eye out for eggs regardless of nest box! If you interact with them daily then I'm sure you'll notice eggs before they hatch as birds who are sitting on eggs will be hormonal and mean. I have personally seen females decide to lay their eggs in food dishes and in cage corners when nest boxes aren't available. It probably won't happen but just keep an eye out and replace any eggs you see with fakes!

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
Do keep an eye out for eggs regardless of nest box! If you interact with them daily then I'm sure you'll notice eggs before they hatch as birds who are sitting on eggs will be hormonal and mean. I have personally seen females decide to lay their eggs in food dishes and in cage corners when nest boxes aren't available. It probably won't happen but just keep an eye out and replace any eggs you see with fakes!
Thanks for advice.

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
Thanks for advice

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
My budgies love Harrison's took them awhile to fully adopt them but now they get excited every time i bring them in for dinner. My birds probably don't as much veg as id like but they like lettuce and apples so its something i usually just clip them onto the cage bars and let them nibble on them for a few hours just so they get something. Also Ive had a male and female budgie couple they were mates But never laid eggs because we took precautions against that you can have them in the same cage you just have to be very mindful of the things your feeding them/ putting in their cage.

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
My budgies love Harrison's took them awhile to fully adopt them but now they get excited every time i bring them in for dinner. My birds probably don't as much veg as id like but they like lettuce and apples so its something i usually just clip them onto the cage bars and let them nibble on them for a few hours just so they get something. Also Ive had a male and female budgie couple they were mates But never laid eggs because we took precautions against that you can have them in the same cage you just have to be very mindful of the things your feeding them/ putting in their cage.
I have to feed Harrison’s with seeds as they are very picky, I am hoping they will eat more of the Harrison’s but as yet they still eat there seed.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
They will it just takes time.. Something that helped me is like do your birds let u hand feed them like old out a pellet between 2 fingers and they'll grab it? My birds loved doing that its how i got them introduced to pellets they'd grab them from between my fingers and eat them and then eventually they picked they're pellets over the seed and once my older bird did that the younger bird followed by example and started eating the pellets no problem.

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
They will it just takes time.. Something that helped me is like do your birds let u hand feed them like old out a pellet between 2 fingers and they'll grab it? My birds loved doing that its how i got them introduced to pellets they'd grab them from between my fingers and eat them and then eventually they picked they're pellets over the seed and once my older bird did that the younger bird followed by example and started eating the pellets no problem.
No i have 10 aviary budgies about 5 months old they are not tame enough to come to my hand. However they do not fly around now when I go in and some still stay where they were when I entered the aviary only a few go to a further away perch. So there is some progress.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a male budgie and three females in the same cage and they don't breed because I haven't put a nest box in, so it can definitely be done. I think you're looking after them really well!
As long as you don't give them nest boxes or anything else that could be used to lay eggs (huts, caves, etc) they probably won't start breeding. Open breeding in an aviary is a bad idea anyway. Females especially can get "jealous" of other females' nesting sites and destroy eggs or kill chicks. And you never know for sure which male is the father in an aviary. I have two male female pairs of budgies that share cages and have never tried to breed (no nest-boxes) so it can be done.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
As long as you don't give them nest boxes or anything else that could be used to lay eggs (huts, caves, etc) they probably won't start breeding. Open breeding in an aviary is a bad idea anyway. Females especially can get "jealous" of other females' nesting sites and destroy eggs or kill chicks. And you never know for sure which male is the father in an aviary. I have two male female pairs of budgies that share cages and have never tried to breed (no nest-boxes) so it can be done.
Yeah I don't keep them in an aviary and I only have one male anyway

Most Reactions

Latest posts