Budgie help

Robyn Louise

Nov 30, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, budgie
Hi everyone. I have a Under 2 week old baby budgie. It's dad killed the other two so U bought this one to hand rear and keep, thing is now it's eyes are open they're pink. Albino. Parents have brown / black eyes mum is dark blue dad is pied. There are no albino budgies in the Avery. Is this chick a throw back? How else could it have pink eyes if no albino in Avery. Can't tell the feather colour all I see is white pins appearing.
Any ideas please
IMG_20221129_204541597.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Genes are funny. I'm not 100% sure how genes work in bird but typically with albino both parents can express normal colors but be carriers for albinism. So if they mate they have like a 25% chance of throwing an albino.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Albino is a combination of lutino and blue - the red eyes may have both lutino and albino.

This could be possible if one of the males's parents was lutino (/albino) or maybe somehow his father passed on genes after his parents/other ancestors.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am wondering if the albino genes are carried by the pied parent. That’s what I think has happened. But I haven’t read about budgie mutations in many years so I may be wrong.

(Also baby could be mostly albino with a bit of color in patches and wouldn’t that be pied?)

Most Reactions