Budgie Is Becoming TOO Friendly With a 'Stranger'

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
A week ago, Byrdie (budgie) landed on my shoulder for the first time. I was elated! It was the first time Byrdie flew to me on his own, without me calling him or luring him with food. I'd gotten him 3 months prior. He had been distracted the first 2 months, and he had just started paying attention to me during the past 3 weeks.

Yesterday, after being outside doing yard work, I was sweaty so I immediately took a shower. When I came out, my husband told me in a less than happy tone, "Your bird keeps trying to land on my head!"

"OH, wow! He likes you!" I replied, thinking how HONORED he should be and slightly jealous because I had worked three weeks doing everything to get the little guy to fly to ME. All my husband did those three weeks was sit on the couch watching tv. 🤨

Then a light bulb went off in my head, "Oh, that's it! Byrdie thinks you are a piece of furniture since you never move." 😂 Of course I didn't say any of those things out loud, but I felt confident Byrdie would stop 'befriending' my husband once I was available. Right? Nope, wrong.

Today Byrdie flew to me, then after he finished visiting me, he flew to the couch and landed on my husband's head! Now I have a new theory:
My husband's bald head is the perfect landing strip! 😁

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
A week ago, Byrdie (budgie) landed on my shoulder for the first time. I was elated! It was the first time Byrdie flew to me on his own, without me calling him or luring him with food. I'd gotten him 3 months prior. He had been distracted the first 2 months, and he had just started paying attention to me during the past 3 weeks.

Yesterday, after being outside doing yard work, I was sweaty so I immediately took a shower. When I came out, my husband told me in a less than happy tone, "Your bird keeps trying to land on my head!"

"OH, wow! He likes you!" I replied, thinking how HONORED he should be and slightly jealous because I had worked three weeks doing everything to get the little guy to fly to ME. All my husband did those three weeks was sit on the couch watching tv. 🤨

Then a light bulb went off in my head, "Oh, that's it! Byrdie thinks you are a piece of furniture since you never move." 😂 Of course I didn't say any of those things out loud, but I felt confident Byrdie would stop 'befriending' my husband once I was available. Right? Nope, wrong.

Today Byrdie flew to me, then after he finished visiting me, he flew to the couch and landed on my husband's head! Now I have a new theory:
My husband's bald head is the perfect landing strip! 😁
They definitely choose who they like :ROFLMAO:

My sisters ex boyfriend came to meet my flock once and I had a new budgie that I'd only had a few days and he was just settling in. He asked if the budgie would fly to him and I confidently said no, I've had him only a few days and he won't even go near me. Not five minutes later he flew to his shoulder and wouldn't leave him alone!

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
They definitely choose who they like :ROFLMAO:

My sisters ex boyfriend came to meet my flock once and I had a new budgie that I'd only had a few days and he was just settling in. He asked if the budgie would fly to him and I confidently said no, I've had him only a few days and he won't even go near me. Not five minutes later he flew to his shoulder and wouldn't leave him alone!
😆 Isn't that funny! At least your sister's ex boyfriend WANTED the bird to fly to him! My husband has no desire to be Byrdie's friend, let alone his landing strip!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
If your birds cere "nose" was whiter in color I'd say it was female and more into males......But it's clearly a male. Maybe he just likes to hang with father figures, I dunno.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
If your birds cere "nose" was whiter in color I'd say it was female and more into males......But it's clearly a male. Maybe he just likes to hang with father figures, I dunno.
20230922_183314.jpg
He's just a friendly, sweet bird. 🫠

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Quite!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts