Budgie kissing toy constantly

WallyBird5

Jul 7, 2021
Parrots
Wally is the only birb right now, I do want a friend for him at some point
I have a bird called Wally, he's a 5-yr-old budgie, and he spends at least half his time kissing his swing toy. I'm getting a bit worried, because it's often said that amount of attachment to a toy is unhealthy, what should i do?\

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi,

Budgies are very social birds and use to have this "kissing" behavior with other budgies for long periods of time. While doing that, he is probably make sounds all the time, isn?t he? Male birds do this very often, even toward other male birds.

When kept alone, it is something they simply do a lot with their toys. I have a male budgie here that may spend his whole day playing like that.

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Budgies are highly social. As your budgie is alone his only ‘friend’ is his toy hence when he is talking and kissing it all the time.
Would you consider getting him a male budgie friend?

OP
W

WallyBird5

Jul 7, 2021
Parrots
I cant get him a buddy atm, but I hope to in the future; i know how beneficial it is. I do hang out with him a lot though, and provide plenty of social interation

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I cant get him a buddy atm, but I hope to in the future; i know how beneficial it is. I do hang out with him a lot though, and provide plenty of social interation

No rush, budgies are just happy creatures by nature, they really live uncomplicated lives. As long as you are caring to interact with him, he will be really glad.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I have a bird called Wally, he's a 5-yr-old budgie, and he spends at least half his time kissing his swing toy. I'm getting a bit worried, because it's often said that amount of attachment to a toy is unhealthy, what should i do?\

Yep budgies do that kind of thing..

I got a little pang in my heart...my very first "parrot" was a budgie and his name was Wally! :D We called him Wallyboy...blue and white...but that was 50 years ago lol.

Jim

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
My Jefferson-budgie is Not alone. He has his missus, the Lady Calliope-budgie, and HIS hooman (aka me) and HIS sun-conure (aka, my Sunny), AND he has some youtube budgie videos which are also HIS budgies. Etc. However, along with being Manager to us all, he also makes time to sing-to & preen: one of his food dishes, one tiny little in-cage screw, and a couple other non-animate "friends."

So, your budgie's friendship with his perch is not unusual and probably not a problem.

However, along with getting him a budgie-friend (male!) as soon as possible for you, I'd also recommend making sure he has access to plenty of toys.

That is, if he has made Friends with his Perch, while still having plenty other toys & a reasonably large cage, then I would not be too concerned. However IF he is friends with Perch because Perch is his Only playmate (aka toy), or if cage is too small for other toys, THEN more toys and/or larger cage would be in-order.

Last edited:

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Our Kiwi liked his bell. I'm sure he could see a bit of a reflection in it. It was a well fed bell.

OP
W

WallyBird5

Jul 7, 2021
Parrots

Yep budgies do that kind of thing..

I got a little pang in my heart...my very first "parrot" was a budgie and his name was Wally! :D We called him Wallyboy...blue and white...but that was 50 years ago lol.

Jim

aww! mine is green and yellow, but the fact that your old budgie had the same name is pretty cool!
I did take out the swing, and now he's a good bit happier; he actually chews his toys again, and makes giant messes. also I don't have to scrape him out of his cage anymore, he comes out on his own and has been far more social

Most Reactions

Latest posts