May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Apollo is not drinking, and hasn't been for 2 days. He seems pretty dehydrated and just sleeps all day. I've tried almost every trick in the book (bowl, bottle, wet lettuce, droplets via syringe, hand, wet millet), and he just won't drink. In fact, he seems terrified of water in all forms. I'm scared for him, are there any tips you could give? My parents think it's not a big deal and when he gets too thirsty, he'll drink. Please help!

D

Deleted member 42416

Did he have a water bottle before? Maybe you can mist him so when he preens he ingests some water.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Did he have a water bottle before? Maybe you can mist him so when he preens he ingests some water.
He is TERRIFIED of misting and always turns his head up so that it flows into his nares,. I called the pet shop I got him from and they just said 'a water bowl will be fine'.

I know it's normal for them to drink almost nothing at the start, but he's literally not had any water. He also only eats tiny pieces of millet. I can't lock him up in his cage to try to get him to eat and drink because he will have a huge panic attack.

I'm not sure if he's had cage trauma from his previous owner or anything, I just know that every time I put him in, he has a panic attack and he almost passed out last night after being put in his cage.

D

Deleted member 42416

Will he peck at a syringe tip? If so, you may be able to get a few drops of fluids in him. You can do this every hour. If he is not eating, it would be best to do pedialyte or gatorade rather than plain water.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Will he peck at a syringe tip? If so, you may be able to get a few drops of fluids in him. You can do this every hour. If he is not eating, it would be best to do pedialyte or gatorade rather than plain water.
No, he just sits there. He doesn't even seem stressed, just traumatized about water. I'll try again, though.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hand fed birds will recognize bird formula too, but parent raised may not be so keen. The pedialyte/Gatorade sweet taste appeals to them all.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Hand fed birds will recognize bird formula too, but parent raised may not be so keen. The pedialyte/Gatorade sweet taste appeals to them all.
I can't get any sweet-tasting stuff right now. We're in a HUGE storm and I can only get gatorade tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 42416

Coconut water? Even juice at this point would be better than nothing.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
He's so scared of any fluid, should I towel him? he really, REALLY needs to drink, but he's terrified of all fluids, no matter how tasty

D

Deleted member 42416

you said he likes the bamboo stick, can you dip it in the fluid and let him lick? If he likes, then put the syringe next to the stick and let him lick the bamboo…it will desensitize him to the syringe. Each time position the syringe closer down on the bamboo stick. Finally, he hopefully will lick the tip of the syringe.

If not… you can try toweling him.. this will be much more successful if you start in a darkened room ( closet or bathroom) and then just enough light for you both to see. Do not force feed as this can cause aspiration. I am worried he will be more stressed with toweling and not want to try to lap any fluids.

You can do this, Ollie! I have faith in you!

D

Deleted member 42416

Oh, has he had any β€œalone” time without you or other birbies around? Sometimes they just need a dimly lit room to calm down, regroup, and then will relax enough to eat.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Oh, has he had any β€œalone” time without you or other birbies around? Sometimes they just need a dimly lit room to calm down, regroup, and then will relax enough to eat.
I try, but he won't step up to my hand. I'm going to try to lure him onto a stick.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
you said he likes the bamboo stick, can you dip it in the fluid and let him lick? If he likes, then put the syringe next to the stick and let him lick the bamboo…it will desensitize him to the syringe. Each time position the syringe closer down on the bamboo stick. Finally, he hopefully will lick the tip of the syringe.

If not… you can try toweling him.. this will be much more successful if you start in a darkened room ( closet or bathroom) and then just enough light for you both to see. Do not force feed as this can cause aspiration. I am worried he will be more stressed with toweling and not want to try to lap any fluids.

You can do this, Ollie! I have faith in you!
Thanks, I'm pretty skilled at toweling birds, but that's still a last resort. I will take your advice though!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Great advice by Beak-Beak, just wanted to add, ALWAYS see an avian vet with any concerns, but good job on not giving up and trying as hard as you can.

Most Reactions