Budgie petting.

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
So my budgies are used to my hands enough to start going on them but when do I start petting them? I always see a bunch of videos of people petting their parrots but how do I know when I get to that point to where they’re bonded enough? I’ve tried to pet them a few times but it just confuses them and sometimes they back away (That’s not as common though), currently he’s just singing loudly and kissing her, here’s some pictures from today.
47FA8D7B-9832-433D-9582-D90C5766B623.jpeg
C515EA86-90DF-428A-8665-1367FEBBD317.jpeg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So my budgies are used to my hands enough to start going on them but when do I start petting them? I always see a bunch of videos of people petting their parrots but how do I know when I get to that point to where they’re bonded enough? I’ve tried to pet them a few times but it just confuses them and sometimes they back away (That’s not as common though), currently he’s just singing loudly and kissing her, here’s some pictures from today.View attachment 41119View attachment 41120
If your bird tries to back away, then that is a sign that it does not want to be pet. Some budgies will never allow you to pet them, even if they're very tame. If you see they try to push your hand away or escape then you shouldn't touch them.

OP
Kitty16

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
If your bird tries to back away, then that is a sign that it does not want to be pet. Some budgies will never allow you to pet them, even if they're very tame. If you see they try to push your hand away or escape then you shouldn't touch them.
Yeah, the last time they backed away was like last week, they don’t really do it anymore.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yeah, the last time they backed away was like last week, they don’t really do it anymore.
You can try doing it now, if they show any signs of discomfort then stop.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Beautiful budgies!

It took years until Cloudy allowed me to stroke his belly once in while. Otherwise we just play finger games where he pecks and chirps sr my fingers or I play try and touch his little feet and he dances around. He likes to sit on me. But he choose to do all this on his own. My other budgies stays as far away from me as possible and if I look at him he ducks down to hide behind stuff.

Taking food fromnyiu is a great sign of trust. Well done!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

Most Reactions

Latest posts