Kaykay101

Jan 25, 2022
Parrots
Budgerigar
I work at a small family-owned pet store and we breed budgies there. One of our females would not stop laying eggs and because of that, she has had a prolapse. The store didn't want to pay the price for a vet visit and was thinking of having her put down. First, though they offered if any of the employees wanted to take her home they could, as well as any items they needed for her. Nobody else could so I took her home as I wanted to give her a chance. I've been applying KY Jelly to the exposed tissue twice a day and providing her with foods that help control hormones like hemp hearts. Currently, I'm keeping her in a 10g hospital set up with two chick perches, a toy, and freshwater, dry and wet food available at all times. Besides a vet visit is there anything else I can do? I'm currently trying to get one set up for her but have been having a hard time.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramble

Jul 4, 2019
Now in the beautiful Midwest!
Parrots
Bertie, the feisty, 17-yr-old, road-trippin’, green cheek conure
Thanks for giving the little girl a chance! You’re a good person to take that on. A prolapse is usually considered an emergency as the tissue can dry out, get infected and/or die off, so the vet visit is right at the top of your list. COVID is making it hard to get in for care these days so just keep trying, and good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts