Budgie sleeping a lot after grooming

Jose42

Oct 27, 2018
Parrots
(F lutino cockatiel: Coco[deceased September 1, 2020])
(2 M green/yellow budgies: Shapiro & Spaghetti[deceased April 18, 2019])
(F white/blue budgie: Snowball[deceased March 16, 2020])
Hello, everyone. I'm not sure whether to be worried oe not. I took my budgie to get groomed today. Unfortunately, there was an accident during the grooming. One nail was clipped too short, but the bleeding was stopped quickly. Also, I should mention he is not trained so when we try to grab him he flies all over the place. We had to chase him around the room a bit. Maybe he tired himself out. He did fly around a lot and flew into some walls at a low altitude. When we got home he had trouble climbing up to his perch. Kept falling. Fortunately, we put a soft towel over the grate in case such things ever happen. He managed to stay perched just fine all day except for the 2 instances my mom said he wanted to come down to eat. He normally likes to jump down halfway and cling to the cage wall and work his way down from there. These 2 times he couldn't grab the cage and fell directly on the towel. He likely got scared from that outcome and quickly made his way back up to his perch and flapped his wings for a few seconds before calming down. Is he having trouble perching because he's not used to the clipped nails and wings. I should also mention they tended to his beak and gave him a shower. Poor little guy was scared the whole time. I've kept a close eye on him all day and the bleeding seems to have stopped, but he doesn't want to move from the spot he's on. I appreciate any help.:greenyellow:

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Any blood loss for a bird is pretty significant to them. They don't have a lot so what we see as a small loss isn't to a bird. Your bird would be in need of rest just from that.

The flying around and being chased would have burned a lot of energy as well. Being in a high stress/fear state is exhausting for any animal.

Being clipped will take a few days for your bird to adapt to. I guess for humans it would be like going from walking to being in a wheelchair. Takes a little time to adapt as it's harder to get around. Same thing with the shorter claws. I guess it would be like losing an inch off your fingertips.

If after 24 hrs there isn't any signs of improvement or if it gets worse contact your vet for their opinion. It might be something else. Unlikely but I suppose it's possible.

OP
J

Jose42

Oct 27, 2018
Parrots
(F lutino cockatiel: Coco[deceased September 1, 2020])
(2 M green/yellow budgies: Shapiro & Spaghetti[deceased April 18, 2019])
(F white/blue budgie: Snowball[deceased March 16, 2020])
Any blood loss for a bird is pretty significant to them. They don't have a lot so what we see as a small loss isn't to a bird. Your bird would be in need of rest just from that.

The flying around and being chased would have burned a lot of energy as well. Being in a high stress/fear state is exhausting for any animal.

Being clipped will take a few days for your bird to adapt to. I guess for humans it would be like going from walking to being in a wheelchair. Takes a little time to adapt as it's harder to get around. Same thing with the shorter claws. I guess it would be like losing an inch off your fingertips.

If after 24 hrs there isn't any signs of improvement or if it gets worse contact your vet for their opinion. It might be something else. Unlikely but I suppose it's possible.

Thank you for your input. I'll keep a close eye on him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts