Budgie sleeps on bottom of the cage

Gege

Mar 19, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Heloo my budgie just learned how to say her name but after that she started to sleep on bottom of her cage is this bad or am i just over reacting

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
well its usually a sign something is wrong.
Unless very young, or cage isn't set up well.

Anytime someone says their bird is sleeping on the bottom of the cage. I say get to the veterinarian quickly. To make sure

Untill then keep warm , offer lots of millet or what ever they will eat. Put a towel on bottom of cage for them to sleep on.

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
Heloo my budgie just learned how to say her name but after that she started to sleep on bottom of her cage is this bad or am i just over reacting
Hmm this happen to me a long time ago but my bird slept hanging on the bars you should show us a picture of your cage setup just to be on the safe side. :)

OP
G

Gege

Mar 19, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hmm this happen to me a long time ago but my bird slept hanging on the bars you should show us a picture of your cage setup just to be on the safe side. :)
I know its little bit dark but she only goes there for sleep

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_155634.jpg
    IMG_20220320_155634.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 212

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
Now my first Impression on it is that it is very small for even for a budgie. The minimum is 39- by 20- by 32-inches. Also, the yellow plastic perch is pretty small and can be very bad for your bird's feet so I think the budgie has no choice to sleep on the ground so, you should get a bigger cage (minimum size stated above) or at least get a natural wood perch (It can be DIY) or the most LEAST cover it up with vines so your bird can sleep on a perch that is comfortable. (Also, you should change the food bowl with stainless steel get some new toys also can be DIY) and overall, the cage is pretty small and there are lots of improvements you should work on. :) (Edit: Even though she goes there for sleep at least make the perch comfortable so your budgie can sleep on it.)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yes, I agree with Koko. That cage is WAAAAAY too small. Budgies in the wild fly up to 500 km a day, so they'll need a large cage and plenty of free roam time. What is his diet? He should be on a diet of 20% seed, 40% fruit and veggies, and 40% pellets. Now, those are statistics I just made up, so it depends on the bird, but budgies should NEVER have more than a 50% seed diet, as they are prone to developing fatty tumors.

My sleeping cages are 18 by 18 by 12 inches for my budgies that sleep alone, and 24 by 18 by 18 for Stormy and Pepper, who sleep together. A cage should not be smaller than Stormy and Pepper's sleeping cage, and even then, he would need a LOT of time free roaming outside the cage!

Tiki Bird

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgies / Parakeets
She could have a foot injury that you can't see.
She she might be ill, if she's fluffed up and her eyes are shut most of the day.
What is her behaviour like during the day? is she active? or is she always sleeping?

If she is always on the bottom of her cage, put food and water there so she can get to it easily. If you think she is ill, you can put a heating pad under her cage to keep her warm while she recovers.

1647976315661.png

Most Reactions