Budgie tongue clicking

May 17, 2020
My friends budgie gets really scared when he puts his hands in the cage to hang new toys and perches. And his budgie flies around a lot and hits the perched and this for a while the new toys are there and hes getting used to it the other budgie is not scared at all. It makes this funny clicking sound the other one isnt that scared they are new birds.
[ame="https://youtu.be/qKEEs0b-3ec"]Blue, the "clicking" budgie! - YouTube[/ame]
This vedio is what I mean it's exactly the same. Is this normal.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Commonly when a Parrot is seen gasping for air denotes that the Parrot has been very active (commonly as a result of flight) and is deep breathing to gather the needed oxygen -or- when accompanied with a 'clicking sound' that commonly implies an illness!

It is not considered normal.

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Ah okay it's only when he scared I read online budgies do tounge clicking when extremely stressed but though I would put a post up to see what budgie owners think.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The activity is common across a wide cross-section of Parrots with some variation. The goal is to provide one's Parrot a Stress Free Environment in which the Parrot becomes comfortable being around Humans. Goal: Only Good Things Happens When Humans Are Around.

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Okay this is the first time this has happened they trusted him went on his hands but he got new perches and toys Bd the birds went mental banging themselves in the cage.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Its a process called a slow introduction of new things to ones Parrot!
Parrots Love consistency! Remember that in the Wild, other things eat them and as a result, New Stuff Just Showing Up can scare them.

Consider: You leave in the morning and when you return at the end of the day, your apartment /home is totally different! All new and very different wall color and flooring. Plus all new furnishings. Could be a bit scary, yes?

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Okay so I have been doing a lot of reserch about this sound and have found out its beak clicking that birds do when telling the person to back off or defending thier territory which explains why the older budgie is doing it and when he does this if I put my hand in the cage he tries to bite me.

Most Reactions