Midnightstarian

Feb 24, 2018
Parrots
I have a budgie, he loves playing with bells and watching me on the computer while i'm drawing. Always making sure to stop in for cuddles every couple seconds he is adorable. His name is tinker.
Hey, i have a couple questions that relate to the same thing so i'll bunch it together inside the same post.

1: I whittle, which is wood carving i also know my woods fairly well and i'm wondering if there is a safe wood glue or wood finish safe for birds i'd like to make my budgie his own customized perch.

2: I don't like how the pet stores i'm looking at never contain very much information on the materials placed into the bird toys. And how a lot of them are so expensive yet end up getting destroyed like there cheaply created.
I'm wondering how i'd go about making my own bird safe bird toys and what beads,items are safe that i can use for my budgie.

(Links, to items for example would be helpful thanks!)
Encase i find them in stores.

I know this is a parrot section, although my budgie is a lot smaller
and probably belongs in the parakeet section i feel like the toys discussion was better fit for this subject. :whiteblue: Sorry for the bother! and questions. What can i say i'm over protective.

Stephable

Jan 20, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Budgie
Green Cheek Conure
hi! I'm not an expert but I have a budgie who I make toys for all the time :)

I generally let my birds have paper so tissue paper and newspaper and cardboard are all good! Mine definitely love destroying leaves so if you have access to budgie safe trees they can be awesome (and free) toys! I live in Australia so I get loads of gum branches. As for beads I just avoid tiny ones, bigger ones that they can't swallow are always a hit. I also put big spare buttons on toys for them. Raffia is great, bells, wooden pegs, paper cups and plates can be awesome for foraging. Egg cartons are good too.

I usually buy all my stuff for the birds at a cool little crafts/variety store so it's pretty cheap and lots of fun to make!

Good Luck! If you have any questions or ideas to share let me know!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hi there! I am not paid to endorse them, but I just got a delivery today from mysafebirdstore.com and I am quite pleased. They have a lovely assortment of cheap bird safe toy making supplies. Plus rexlace and pony bead creations are fun and bird safe as well as cheap. Hope this helps.

From phone

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
mysafebirdstore.com, huh. Never heard of it, gotta go check it out! My birds, especially Kermit, destroy toys so quickly and I have yet to find a cheap source for them. I get some of my toys at the pet store, some at the bird fair (monthly), some online. Do you know anywhere I can get pre-made toys for a cheap price? Making my own toys just isn’t my thing, they always end up looking terrible.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Check out the site, they also have pre made toys, but I didn't look at them, was looking for specific toy parts to make Fatty's dream climbing chain. :p (He loves it), and found a few other things to get also. They threw in some treats for my dog and a little mousie toy for my cat too(as well as a couple of little human candies). Other than that, my usual go-to online stores are Amazon, Drs Foster and smith, petmountain(have a great price on reptisun bulbs if you also have lizards). This was the first time I had ordered from mysafebirdstore.com, and I saw someone had mentioned them in an old thread on this site I was creeping through(lol) so tried them. My local parrot store closed down less than a year ago, so I've been kind of lost for toy sources also (hate giving money to petcosmart).

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I agree with mysafebirdstore.com. Great toy parts and good prices. For pre-made, try lilmonstersbirdtoys.com and Etsy.com/ca/shop/littlebluebirdtoys. Both are one person businesses run by moms of small birds. Little Blue Bird is in Canada so shipping costs to US are a bit high, but her prices are great and the toys are fantastic. Lil Monsters is US. I won a $50 credit to her store, and my $50 went a long way! Her toys are also wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts