Budgie with Reddish Feathers on Head

Feb 11, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Periwinkle (Budgie)
Hello everyone!
So Periwinkle has recently had a loss of feathers around his eyes, it doesn’t seem to be that bad now, though. Anyway, this morning when he woke up he had some reddish feathers above his beak and next to his eye. Should I be concerned? Or is this just a part of the molting process? He seems to be is usual self, maybe a little more quiet.

Images attached below:
C384A162-C83B-44D9-93AD-52CD1BDFE441.jpeg

DC1FB878-D977-4C61-9B0B-5783445A8B84.jpeg

And if you compare it to him in my icon, he just looks scruffier in general.
What do you think?

Last edited:

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
is it bleeding if it is he may accordingly broke a pin feather
but highly recommend going to the vet

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello everyone!
So Periwinkle has recently had a loss of feathers around his eyes, it doesn’t seem to be that bad now, though. Anyway, this morning when he woke up he had some reddish feathers above his beak and next to his eye. Should I be concerned? Or is this just a part of the molting process? He seems to be is usual self, maybe a little more quiet.

Images attached below:
View attachment 36320
View attachment 36319

What do you think?
Have you fed him any red fruits or veggies like beets?
Does he have a toy with red parts?
That is what this usually turns out to be with my flock.

Eldarion_

Jun 16, 2020
Australia
Parrots
Dirk- yellow-sided GCC
Queenie- pineapple GCC
Dusty- albino cockatiel
Raz - pastel-face pied cockatiel
I can't quite make out the feathers, but do they look like little needles/pins? Since Periwinkle has been losing feathers, they might be new feathers growing in. When feathers grow they need a blood supply, and they also need some protection so they grow with a keratin sheath. Once the feather is mature, the keratin sheath comes off (this is usually done while preening) and the blood supply receeds, meaning you can't see the pink/red part anymore.
This is a normal part of growing feathers.

Sometimes pin feather may break and they may bleed, I haven't heard anything serious happening from a head feather breaking.

Other than that, have you fed them anything red lately? Like a beetroot, strawberry or some capsicum? This could stain their feathers, I always get a little scare from my birds when they have been eating their beetroot messily πŸ˜…

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hello everyone!

Images attached below:
View attachment 36320
View attachment 36319

What do you think?
I think the above posts are giving you good advice.

What kind of budgie is periwinkle? Like, which color mutation? I like that dark blue. Is he an opaline budgie? Very pretty.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

What kind of budgie is periwinkle? Like, which color mutation? I like that dark blue. Is he an opaline budgie? Very pretty.
I'm pretty good at budgie mutations, he looks like a colbalt-violet clearwing spangle :)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

Also not an opaline. Opaline budgies body color seeps into their wings, which his doesn't.

Most Reactions

Latest posts