Budgies and Quaker Parrots together?

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
We have 2 Budgies male and female. If I get a Quaker Parakeet will they get along OK in the same cage?

Attachments

• Rocky-Polly.jpg
    Rocky-Polly.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 42416

No, absolutely not. Quakers can be very aggressive with budgies. Many years ago one of our quakers got out of their cage, flew downstairs, and bit the tip of a budgie’s toe off through the budgie cage. Budgie survived, but it was horrible.

With the exception in a few cases of cockatiels and budgies, different species should not occupy the same cage. Beak size discrepancy is a critical factor in birds being safe and able to defend themselves during a squabble. A good rule of thumb is: “different beak, different cage”.

Hope this helps!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Absolutely no can they share a same cage. A quaker would bully them and as mentioned can kill them.

Some quakers will never tolerate a budgie being near them, ever. Some will tolerate them but bully them. And sometimes they can be friends outside of the cage. 2 of mine can't stand for them to be closer than 2 feet, and will chase them off of a perch or food. One of mine, Penny is friends with only one of my budgies, the other two she doesn't like.

Definitely separate cages, and don't let a budgie land on a caged bird, as they will bite off toes .

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Thank you for all your replies!! I had no idea that Quaker could be so aggressive. Wondering if this happens in the wild as well? I do believe they are illegal to own in Wyoming an New York.
We "might" get a Lovebird, but they will have their own cage.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
quakers and budgie are from different parts of the world, they would never meet .

Caution with any parrots and budgie, a green cheek or love bird van also harm budgies . Its not that quakers are an aggressive species. Tho quakers tend be very territorial of their cage, as many species can be.

Thought needs to be taken if you want to add another species. Quakers tend to be loud and are prone to become screamers. They need a lot of stuff to do, and a lot of time out out of the cage. They don't do well left in a cage all day , that can lead to screaming and Plucking and a very unhappy parrot. they need a large cage, 32 inches long on and 24 inches deep and 42 inches high minimum, 4 hours or more out of cage time, 2 hours or more direct interactions time, and foraging activities, and lots of toys and shreds be chew stuff, healthy diet lots of fresh veggies and leafy greens, pellets and seed mix

So research all the parrot species you are interested in. And what your plan will be if they don't get along with your budgies. To make sure you have the time to care and provide fir all

Last edited:

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Thank you for all your replies!! I had no idea that Quaker could be so aggressive. Wondering if this happens in the wild as well? I do believe they are illegal to own in Wyoming an New York.
We "might" get a Lovebird, but they will have their own cage.

The 2 budgies in your photo are beautiful.
I am happy that you are loving and gathering information to keep them safe.

May I suggest that you take each one out to train individually some simple tricks.

Are they hand tamed? Have they talk yet?

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
May I suggest that you take each one out to train individually some simple tricks.
Would be nice but Adrian (Female) has been in our home about 10 days and Rocky (Blue Male) has only been here since a few days ago. I have gotten them to eat a spray of millet I hold and have in the cage, and are close to my hand.
We have 4 dogs, Toy Fox Terriers, and one male (fixed) cat, who is quite a hunter, so getting them out at the moment ain't gonna happen. Plus, we are remodeling inside our double wide home and there is lots of place for little birds to crawl under and keep from getting caught to put back in the cage. Perhaps as time goes on, at a later day. :)

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Would be nice but Adrian (Female) has been in our home about 10 days and Rocky (Blue Male) has only been here since a few days ago. I have gotten them to eat a spray of millet I hold and have in the cage, and are close to my hand.
We have 4 dogs, Toy Fox Terriers, and one male (fixed) cat, who is quite a hunter, so getting them out at the moment ain't gonna happen. Plus, we are remodeling inside our double wide home and there is lots of place for little birds to crawl under and keep from getting caught to put back in the cage. Perhaps as time goes on, at a later day. :)

You sounds like a loving family who take in wonderful pets of a variety of species and do so with love, time, and incredible care.
I am impressed with such multiple pet ownership, despite busy schedules.

Since you are remodeling inside, may I suggest a bird proof room....electrical wires, easy to clean floor, no ceiling fan, adding perching branches and such. (maybe you have already done it)

As you said, it would be nice. Tamed Adrian and Rocky, talking and playing nearby is especially adorable. Do actually open the door and help each spread wings. Hand-training your parakeet need time as much as a few times a day with consistency, and eventually they'll become more comfortable with leaving the cage and spending time with you.

Would you also like to consider open cage door policy to excercise their little wings? For good health and training purpose, pet bird needs a minimum of 2 hours (or 1 hour inthe morning plus 1 hour before sunset.) Please keep us post. We are here to help as much as to learn from you.

Mrstlee

Jul 4, 2022
Parrots
Quaker and a parakeet
I actually have my quaker and parakeet in the same cage... They get along amazingly well. They preen each other, feed each other and sleep on the same perch. Quaker actually taught my parakeet to say peekaboo

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I have 4 budgies and a quaker in one cage.

They get along fine.

20220505_164533.jpg

she even breaks up fights....

I'd not cage together immediately but if they get along.....

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just realized old thread

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
wow thanks. I figured it was just dug up. Thanks for the like. and I hope it helps.

Katrina38

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Roscoe- english budgie
You have a lot of good answers here. But I do have to say that each bird has a different personality and even the same kind are not guaranteed to get along. I used to have 2 budgies and 2 quakers (all in separate cages) in a bird room and my one budgie was the bully.. not the quakers. She would fly over, bite the quakers feet and take off. We had to alternate out of cage time, because I didn't want to risk a beak lock etc. My two girl quakers LOVED one another and would preen each other, so when we moved we thought we get one massive cage for them to share and they started fighting all the time.. we had to go back to two cages.

Most Reactions

Latest posts