Budgies are afraid of the nesting box, what should i do?

Lenka

Sep 11, 2022
Czech Republic
Parrots
Budgies Loki & Aria
Hi, I am sorry in advance for my english, I'm from Czech Republic.

Few days ago, I gave my budgies (Loki and Aria, both of them are older than 1 year) a nesting box, 'cause they are often kissing, Loki feeding Aria (and other things I don't know how to say in english) and I wanted to try to breed them. I spent a lot of time searching for everything about breeding budgies, but there are few things I couldn't find answers for.

The nesting box is made from wood, it's just a normal nesting boy you can buy in a pet store, i just made the etrance a little bigger. I know it's just a few days ago and they are first timers, but they are afraid to go in the nesting box, they aren't scared around the box, but they never went inside. They are in their own cage (more like little home aviary), because i don't have any other budgies.

Can someone please help me what to do?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Cockatiels refused to use a wooden nest box.
They accepted and used a nest box out of cardboard.
make sure to double reinforce the bottom as the parents may chew at the bottom and weaken it.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure, budgie
From what I remember my budgies were afraid of their nest box too. I think they need just more time.

Ps. Don't worry about English, we have much more people whose first language isn't English ;)

OP
L

Lenka

Sep 11, 2022
Czech Republic
Parrots
Budgies Loki & Aria
From what I remember my budgies were afraid of their nest box too. I think they need just more time.

Ps. Don't worry about English, we have much more people whose first language isn't English ;)
Thanks for advice :)

OP
L

Lenka

Sep 11, 2022
Czech Republic
Parrots
Budgies Loki & Aria
My Cockatiels refused to use a wooden nest box.
They accepted and used a nest box out of cardboard.
make sure to double reinforce the bottom as the parents may chew at the bottom and weaken it.
Thank you for advice :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts