Buying him Legos was a bad call

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
They say hindsight is 20/20 so I must not have been wearing my glasses and totally blindfolded when I chose to buy Kiwi a little pack of legos the other day. Some of you might even remember my prior thread about how excited I was to find them and how excited he was to have them! Holy words of an inappropriate nature do those bleepity bleeps hurt to step on (especially at 4am in the dark). Now I understand the memes! I swear I pick them all up, but Kiwi must sneak out in the night to distribute a few of the little satanic pieces of plastic around the living room floor like a minefield for me when I wake up:mad: Seriously. 3 mornings in a row now. He really does love them and has even figured out how to put them together (not building anything;) just how to pop one onto another). I can't just take them away at this point, but I do think I'm going to count out EXACTLY 15 or 20 and do a nightly head count to make sure every single one of those !@#*s has been rounded up.

i-hope-you-step-on-a-lego-things-to-wish-11478483.png

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)
Lol :)

I probably can't find it, but on Facebook a while back there was funny video like this. There was a family (probably drunk) and they had two blindfolded men from the family (father and son probably) compete in an obstacle course. See where this is going? Lol

There was a lane of Legos and mouse traps and a table with forks at the other end. There was mouse traps on the table as well. They had to go back and forth across the Lego and mouse traps, grab a fork, and come back. Near the end their faces we red and the rest of the family started placing mouse traps in their way! :D

I'll see if I can find it, but I'm not sure if I can.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
As a child my parents were just as upset with me if I did not do a good job of picking up Legos and tinkertoys.

My father threatened to burn up my tinkertoys if I did not pick them up (made out of wood at the time). Eventually he made good on his threat boy did I cry when they went up in flames.

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Here when Lego was a phase we didn't have much issue. They were always upstairs being played with in a room that nobody went in other than to play. The kids could leave them out all they wanted because no one went in there but them!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Kiwi, that is one of the funniest posts in a long time. I been bit by Legos many times, with 2 young boys in the house And they loved 'em; I hated them. Thanks!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Ouch :eek: I must confess that I just made a mental note to NEVER buy lego for my crew of troublemakers.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I must've been a really strange kid because I NEVER lost track of my legos or left them everywhere! I had tons of them, but I was always afraid I'd loose or misplace a piece (that and growing up with 3 parrots, if you left a toy unattended, it was gone and probably destroyed as well). I always divided them up into ziplock bags by set, with instructions for assembly of said set in the bag (oh, and I also cut up the boxes to keep the "fully assembled" images too). My mom still has all of them too. Genuine, complete 90's lego sets.

Sigh. If only Kiwi took as good of care of his toys:(

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
As a child my parents were just as upset with me if I did not do a good job of picking up Legos and tinkertoys.

My father threatened to burn up my tinkertoys if I did not pick them up (made out of wood at the time). Eventually he made good on his threat boy did I cry when they went up in flames.

Had my dad ever repeatedly stepped on my legos because I left them out carelessly in the middle of the floor, I have a good feeling this would have been their fate too;)

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
ah yep.. Ive been victimized too! The lego man did it. not Rudy..

I found a really interesting alternative. I live in an urban area, where $1 is frequently asked of a person. It all came together about a year ago when I noticed these little 150ml plastic liquor bottles everywhere.

Well guess what? The hard plastic Rudy loves to chew the screw top thread off. So, yes... I wash them out, they are a favorite chew toy of his. Even funnier is to take them with me when we walk and yes..... Its five'oclock somewhere! He will tip them up and try to get a drop of... yeah what ever is in it..

Note to self.. get and post some pics!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
This is the best thread! I laughed outright, i feel the pain and won’t get Nigel any legos for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
I must've been a really strange kid because I NEVER lost track of my legos or left them everywhere! I had tons of them, but I was always afraid I'd loose or misplace a piece (that and growing up with 3 parrots, if you left a toy unattended, it was gone and probably destroyed as well). I always divided them up into ziplock bags by set, with instructions for assembly of said set in the bag (oh, and I also cut up the boxes to keep the "fully assembled" images too). My mom still has all of them too. Genuine, complete 90's lego sets.

That was exactly me. I would get a set (personal favorite was the Star Wars ones) and keep the instructions. Mind you, I would build them at first and never disassemble them (I probably didn't ever need the instructions after I built it). We had tubs of Lego that didn't fit into a set and built whatever with that, but no one touched my sets! Lol My siblings would build whatever out of the sets they got, not caring about the instructions, but I actually built them properly.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I'm NOT showing this to Amy!!

Jim

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
haha yup, good ol' lego

The one that's worse which all those in the states wont have to deal with is standing on an upturned plug!
white_plug_kenable_2.jpg

As you can see they are flat backed so they quite happily stay pointed upwards and if you step on one at midnight you can have a fun time removing said plug from your foot!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
That was exactly me. I would get a set (personal favorite was the Star Wars ones) and keep the instructions. Mind you, I would build them at first and never disassemble them (I probably didn't ever need the instructions after I built it). We had tubs of Lego that didn't fit into a set and built whatever with that, but no one touched my sets! Lol My siblings would build whatever out of the sets they got, not caring about the instructions, but I actually built them properly.

I had a couple of the "Paradisa" sets (though I never had them all:(). I think every little girl in the early/mid 90's had or wanted every single one of those sets lol. I also recall having a pizza parlor, ice cream stand and getting a pretty cool set for my birthday once that was some kind of submarine/underwater lab. I might've had a spaceship too (or maybe just re-engineered the submarine???). My parents never allowed me to have any 'branded' toys based off movies/movie/tv characters. They felt those ones didn't encourage imagination and creativity enough or some such thing (they were probably right).

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
The feeling of standing on a Lego is not something I want to experience again. Having nephews that play with Lego I already know what it's like, and I can imagine a little beak and feet being good at dispersing them though the room.

This is definitely something I'll remember if I ever get a larger bird and need something to entertain them with.
No Lego.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I can be a better moderator now that I know how to analyze and advise concerning the vagaries of Lego situations!

Very funny thread... thanks, all!

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I can be a better moderator now that I know how to analyze and advise concerning the vagaries of Lego situations!

Go for it! You must adapt to the tribe!:35::D:red:

Feb 8, 2014 - But what makes The Lego Movie even more accessible for viewers above the age of six is the fact that the film is full of political and social satire.

Dont feed Parrotheads Legos! or you end will end up stepping on a politician!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My boys would build the kit once, then disassemble them and into the Lego bin they would go. They and I would build stuff from the bin based on a theme they would pick out. Ones I remember were sand racers, pirate ships and time machines. But that was a sure fire recipe to have little tiny 2 peg 1/2 height blocks to wind up on the floor, usually in the hall outside the bathroom, to be found by you know who at 4:30 AM. Crap, I couldn't even scream at that hour.

I am going to try building some basic stuff for Salty to investigate as a footie toy for his morning in-cage time.

Good thread, who doesn't have a Lego story. I am still chuckling over the original post!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I actually own almost ever lego castle set ever produced even the 1970's yellow lego castle. (they don't make the castle line anymore). Seriously. I think I have every castle put out and some duplicates. All fully assembled.

Clark has never seen them set up, each one is in bankers boxes in the back room, it's probably about 6000 dollars worth of plastic.

Ironic this thread came up I was thinking about setting them all up again in the man cave floor just to see what he'd do.

I'd love to see him walk through a drawbridge and go all game of thrones on the defenders. Climb up on the ramparts.

Most Reactions