Jamie_95

Jun 10, 2013
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Baby Lorikeet ~ Petrie
And 2 Lovebirds
IMG_20130612_114502.jpg
So this is Petrie ~ the baby Lorrie i've been looking after :)
I released him back into the wild where i found him about half an hour ago. But don't worry! He was looking much happier and healthier today than he was when i found him. His beak was a brown colour when i first took him in, and now it's a nice orange colour. He was flying around the house with no problems, and even ate a bit of his breakfast without any help! :D I cleaned him up alot, so he looks so much better than he did when i found him :p He'd shown me that he no longer needed my help to survive, but he might of died yesterday if i didn't find him :eek:
He had a big breakfast of mushed up apples and honey, a big drink of water, lots of scratches and cuddles, and then i sent him back out to find his family :)
He flew straight up into the tree, then off into the distance. It was a great experience even if it was only for 2 days :)
Thanks everyone for your help! Petrie and I really appreciate it :D

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
aww hes so cute! Glad you saved him and now he can live free and happy cause of you :) and he looks quite old enough to be on his own well done!!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Rescuing a bird doesn't necessarily mean that you get to keep it. Thanks for what you did. Both, two days ago, and today.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
What a happy ending! It sounds like you two had a lot of fun together :) Releasing an animal can be rewarding, but i can see why you miss him. Just know you helped him and now he's flying free! Have you considered leaving fruit out by your house to see if petri and other lorikeet's will feed from your yard?sending happy thoughts and prayers that petri finds his way in the wild!
BTW, great name!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I SO love happy endings!!!

I firmly believe you did the right thing, Jamie. :) Despite being sad, Petrie will fly free thanks to you!!

HUGS!!!!

OP
Jamie_95

Jamie_95

Jun 10, 2013
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Baby Lorikeet ~ Petrie
And 2 Lovebirds
Thanks Wendy! :) I feel so much better now that i've released him and he can fly around freely without running into my bedroom walls :p Thanks so much for all your help :D :D

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Although I'm a big fan of all four seasons, I cannot imagine what it would be like to walk out of the house and seen the amazing hookbills of Africa, South America and Australia flying wild.

We enjoy watching our native birds, but we have nothing like what the warmer continents have.

Although, I understand flocks of wild hookbills can be just as destructive geese or locusts.

Does it still cost a tupance to feed the birds? :rolleyes: :green::09:

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
I love happy endings thank you for rescuing that sweet baby and then giving him the opportunity to live.

Most Reactions

Latest posts