cage accident ,advice please

anuska

Apr 5, 2013
Trinidad
Parrots
2 Orange winged amazon, 2 budgies
hey an accident just occurred , basically my baby amazon was in her cage and one of her toes got tangled between the bars but by the time i reached in to help her she had already got it out , she is pulling her foot inside and out but she is walking and holding up toys with the same foot most normal im just worried because she is standing right now and gently trying to rest the foot flat but still wont touch the ground completely i can see she is pulling the foot in and out , today is a holiday here so no doubt i cannot get through to a vet , should i be worried ? any advice ? we dont really experience alot of accidents frequently ,so when anything happens i get all paranoid any advice please i really would like to know what and how to deal with the situation , really hope my little girl is okay and not going throught any pain or any thing of that sort .

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
One of my birds has done something similar and she walked it off...just watch her foot for swelling, which I doubt you'll see.....if there was any damage, she would not be trying to walk on it...probably just some soreness.....

Good luck.....

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Keep an eye on the foot and look for any signs such as swelling etc I might add for all owners to teach your bird their body parts from eyes to feet. Its amazing how useful it will be. Touch their eyes and say "eyes" same with their nose and mouth and feet and wings. After awhile they will understand and not be scared. I can now clip my birds nails by simply asking for a foot and he raises his foot. In fact sometimes when I'm petting him I ask for his foot and I message each one. Same with all the others mentioned.
If he is showing signs of pain etc take him to the Dr.
All the best

OP
A

anuska

Apr 5, 2013
Trinidad
Parrots
2 Orange winged amazon, 2 budgies
hi weco and grateful ,thanks for your feedback I've definitely been observing her she seems fine now standing on both feet so I'm glad to see that was a bit worried ,and @ grateful that remarkable , my birds barely let me touch them unless it for a scratch or else if i try to touch any other part they just turn around to bite me and being spoilt as they are i just leave them , i would really love to learn to teach them about the body parts sounds pretty amazing , nevertheless chances are they still wont let me cut their nails and must i say i myself am most scared of cuttin their nails recently they've grown out and its becoming a problem but i had one incident in the past where i tried to cut the nail and i did it most careful i researched it and what not went closest to the end and somehow still managed to result in bleeding i panicked called d vet immediately eventually stopped the bleeding she's fine now thank god i was soo worried , i am so afraid to go back and try to cut either one of their nails i think i will just take dem to the vet , other dan dat i have given them my emery board to just play wit it for a few they shred it to pieces but at the same time i can see its toning down the nail length just a tad bit which is good in a sense because i know they tangle easily when they're climbing around .Would you give any advice on another method to shorten the nails at home ? instead of cutting that is ?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My birds lets me check their wings, body, feet, etc. You just have to learn to handle them and once you get the socializing down then start slowly with different parts of their body. IF you do nail clipping, always have blood stopper available at all times even when your not clipping, it come handy. IF you don't have blood stopper available, use corn starch or flour and just dab a ton on the toe that's bleeding or a busted blood feather if you can't find out which one it is, it will help to stop the bleeding.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Would you give any advice on another method to shorten the nails at home ? instead of cutting that is ?

Here are some ideas: JungleTalk Jungle Walk Concrete Perch - Large

http://www.wag.com/bird/p/sweet-feet-beak-small-patented-safety-pumice-perch-223897?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_W&utm_term=NRG-001&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1323846548&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=NRG-001&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

Bird Perches Concrete Perches Nail Trimining

The problem with dark nails is that you can't see exactly where the blood is in the nail, then there are nerve endings just ahead of the blood in some nails.

After I learned how to hold a small bird, I could usually get just the tip of the nail, with a small pocket set of nail clippers pretty easily.

Good luck.....

Most Reactions