Cage cheek

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
I went to the pet store and spend a lot of money and i have a cage, a bendy rope thing with a bell on the end,a cuddle bone a bird granola bar, and food. O also its a rope with wood blocks on and little sticks stuck through. And a hard sand perch.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats great, Yeah maybe you could post pics of the cage in the cage section. I love seeing other cages. :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
hey buddy hate to break the news but you might want to see about taking it back and getting a larger one that would only work as a traveling cage. Saylor we are here to help but he really should have one closer to 18 by 18 remember he is going to be spending his whole life in there. so what do you say let's see about getting your new friend a slightly larger home!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
hey buddy hate to break the news but you might want to see about taking it back and getting a larger one that would only work as a traveling cage. Saylor we are here to help but he really should have one closer to 18 by 18 remember he is going to be spending his whole life in there. so what do you say let's see about getting your new friend a slightly larger home!

I would agree with Crazy ... sorry little dude, you do need to get a bigger cage 18X18X18 ... remeber your little friend needs lots of room ... your birdie sould be able to spread his wings and not touch the side of the cage, please give your birdie the best house you can afford him ...

just to give you an idea - Hamlet is only about 12 inches from beak to tail (and his tail is probably 3-4 inches long) and his cage is 32X28X54 ... His cage is almost too big, BUT he climbs around it all day long while my fiancee and I are at work ...

Please, please, please get a bigger cage ...

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
you said you got 100 dollars walmart has two cages one is 60 bucks and one is 50 - I have two of the 50 dollar ones either one of these would be perfect! and great priced
here is a starter kit that would be an excellent choice! something about this size would be ideal seriously dude I beg you to reconsider I know you have the best intentions in mind but putting a parakeet in a cage that small would be like putting a bunny rabbit in one of those 10 gallon aquariams - it would work but everyone would be miserable! we aren't coming down on you but we want what's best for the bird please keep us updated!
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Pro..._265_N_25+122_sku_986747_familyID_100233.aspx

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
ok i toke the measurements and it is 17x17x about 22 it had one of the cup things around it. I think 1 inch isn't that much. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

When I do post pics I'm going to get one of the fuzzy tubes so it can [hope not hide] and sleep. it is a starter kit

Sorry for umm... confusing u

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
The cage is (IMO) the most important part of owning a bird. Its their home and as such needs to be able to handle all the accessories comfortably, with room left for them to move around and flap their wings. They need toys, food bowls, treats etc etc. Make sure that before picking up your bird the cage is a good sized one. My hospital cage is 13 x 13 x ? and believe me it doesn't leave much room for toys as well as the bird. I only ever use that as a means of transporting my birds to the vets.

Try putting your toys in the cage you have and then see how much room you have left. You'll be surprised at how quickly the space can dissappear, then see if you think your bird is going to have enough room to move about and flap his wings.

Look forward to seeing the cage. When do you get your bird? Don't forget pics of him/her. :D

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
I'm going to keep this cage I think I layed out the toys nicly and I left most of the right dide and middle open

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
good plan my cousins parakeets cage was so filled up with toys and things he could hardly move with bumping into something so when is the big day?

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
My cockatiels cage use to have so much toys and things in it that they were damaging there feathers and stuff so i had to take a bunch of the toys out.. it looks alittle empty now but atleast they can move around safetly. Now im realizing that there losing alot fo featehrs but im pretty sure its just molt because its just that time i think for them... hmm born in sept. ya that'd be .. over 6 months. so ya probably molting. :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, Gemini is going through a moult now, and boy is he suffering. It doesn't help that he is also plucking again, so he looks a real mess. Poor little soul.

Slayor, sorry didn't see your last post, That sounds a better cage size. You really will be surprised at how much room toys take up :18: and if your anything like me its buy buy buy, I've stopped saying I'm buying toys, its now I'm accessorising their cage. :18:

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
I'm going to try making toys and my little sister is in Girl Scouts, and her friends could make them as an "activity". I'm going to get he\she over spring break so I can spend the most time with it.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I had to go buy Popsicle a bigger cage because I wanted to put so many toys in it and her old one wasn't big enough. Now I need another one for Pepsi. She is in an ideal "amazon sized cage" but I'm not pleased. I'm going to go buy a big huge macaw cage for her.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I had to go buy Popsicle a bigger cage because I wanted to put so many toys in it and her old one wasn't big enough. Now I need another one for Pepsi. She is in an ideal "amazon sized cage" but I'm not pleased. I'm going to go buy a big huge macaw cage for her.
Yeah, Bucc's in a huge macaw cage, but with the amount of ACCESSORIES I keep buying its the only way he has room to move around. :18: Kito will be in the same sized cage soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts