Cage for parrotlet

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Dora - Green-rumped parrotlet ā™€
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bird-Parrot-Cage-Chinchilla-Cockatiel-Conure-Large-Cockatiel-House-Metal-Wheels/272531842722?hash=item3f7429e6a2:g:JasAAOSwo4pYhakC

I'm hoping to home a green rumped parrotlet in the near future and deciding on a cage has been... overwhelming. I've searched for information and photographs of parrotlet owners setups - this helped. I doubt they will be in there cage much, if I'm honest.
If anyone has any other suggestions for cages, they will be gladly considered.
Thank you! :grey:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Great size for a parrotlet. Just make sure of the bar spacing, parrotlet heads are small , and you do not want a cage where it's head can fit thru the bars and get stuck.

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Thank you both! I'm glad to have finally made a decision on what cage to purchase. Today I bought a few items to place in their cage, once it arrives. It has been an exciting weekend. I'd love to know more about Bumble. I've looked through your thread dedicated to her - it is sweet. I'm grateful for everyone sharing their experience/knowledge.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thank you both! I'm glad to have finally made a decision on what cage to purchase. Today I bought a few items to place in their cage, once it arrives. It has been an exciting weekend. I'd love to know more about Bumble. I've looked through your thread dedicated to her - it is sweet. I'm grateful for everyone sharing their experience/knowledge.

Aww thanks! Her thread is due for an update. And I hope to see pics and stories of your fid(s) when they arrive! Thereā€™s a shortage of talkative parrotlet parronts here [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
I've been looking at potential toys/items for future parrotlet and I'm struggling to make a decision on what else to purchase... I'm going to order a cuttle bone although, upon further reading it was advised to scrape a small amount in with their food instead of it being in their cage with them. What is your parrotlets diet? Also, what do you have in Bumble's cage? I plan on giving them plenty of fresh fruit and veg'. I apologise for all the questions:eek:

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I've been looking at potential toys/items for future parrotlet and I'm struggling to make a decision on what else to purchase... I'm going to order a cuttle bone although, upon further reading it was advised to scrape a small amount in with their food instead of it being in their cage with them. What is your parrotlets diet? Also, what do you have in Bumble's cage? I plan on giving them plenty of fresh fruit and veg'. I apologise for all the questions:eek:

Please donā€™t apologize! I asked so many questions when I was still calling Bumble ā€œFuture Birdā€ so now Iā€™m happy to give back.

She eats a mix of Harrisonā€™s pellets, Zupreme fruit blend, and Volkmannā€™s Parrotlet mix - about one third of each. Iā€™m going to take her off the Zupreme though-sheā€™s recently decided that tossing all the pellets is more fun than eating. Red ones first. Then I do a chop thatā€™s never quite the same but has cooked: brown rice, quinoa, sweet potato and raw: mixed veggies (I get frozen), lots of peppers of whatever kind, and whatever else sounds good. I freeze it in snack size ziploc bags with a couple of days worth in each. Then daily I add fresh stuff - berries, greens, fruit, veggies. Today itā€™s a fresh basil leaf, a snap pea, and a little chunk of ginger. Thatā€™s new and she isnā€™t totally into it!

In her cage-I work full time so Iā€™m away from her longer than I would like. She has a variety of toys and I try to swap them out. In the interest of saving $$ I recently bought a bunch of parts and plan to start making them myself. Try getting her one of a few different kinds of toys to see what she likes. And if she doesnā€™t like it, put it away to try again later. Same with food.

There are a couple of threads that will be helpful. If I knew how to insert them here I would, but I donā€™t. A mod might come along and help. Meanwhile search CHOP and youā€™ll get tons of ideas for food, and search ā€œWhat do I Really Needā€ to find the responses I got to that question. That thread was invaluable to me!

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts