Cage for scarlet macaw

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone has bought cages through birdcages4less or has any advice for big macaw cages that ship to Alberta, Canada or anywhere local to shop.

Many thanks!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have long been a customer of Bird Cages 4 Less and over those many decades have always be happy with the cages and supply. As an FYI: We have long gotten their cage top play area and their Parrot defined Parrot Size toy package. Also consider additional bowls as just about the time you need more, the industry will change the size. We only target those cages with a full height front door as they are so much easier to clear.

The reality is that there are only three Parrot Cage manufacturers and they are all in China. Which is better is difficult to determine as they are a very competitive group that have forced each other to provide ever better products in the mid to higher end cages. The problems that I have seen across all of them is when they switch production and the first several cages can be problematic. But those cages are commonly sold thru low priced reseller.

To a different point, we choose Bird Cages 4 Less because they sell near only cages and their staff are much better at shipping the correct boxes for the correct cage.

OP
MomofMango

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
I have long been a customer of Bird Cages 4 Less and over those many decades have always be happy with the cages and supply. As an FYI: We have long gotten their cage top play area and their Parrot defined Parrot Size toy package. Also consider additional bowls as just about the time you need more, the industry will change the size. We only target those cages with a full height front door as they are so much easier to clear.

The reality is that there are only three Parrot Cage manufacturers and they are all in China. Which is better is difficult to determine as they are a very competitive group that have forced each other to provide ever better products in the mid to higher end cages. The problems that I have seen across all of them is when they switch production and the first several cages can be problematic. But those cages are commonly sold thru low priced reseller.

To a different point, we choose Bird Cages 4 Less because they sell near only cages and their staff are much better at shipping the correct boxes for the correct cage.
Thank you so much for a quick reply and advice on extra bowls too. Have a great day!

Robf1988

May 14, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
I purchased the Maui Mansion from them for my scarlet macaw. It makes him look small. Easy to assemble.
20230423_182919.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Consider obtaining several larger diameter perches as Mac's your Parrots size should be on large perches to provide comfort for their claws. Consider perch diameters of 3" in diameter and larger.

Your Mac's claws with thank you!

paddy1998

Oct 28, 2014
Consider obtaining several larger diameter perches as Mac's your Parrots size should be on large perches to provide comfort for their claws. Consider perch diameters of 3" in diameter and larger.

Your Mac's claws with thank you!
I used handrail dowels from the big box store for my Scarlet.

Perfect size for a macaw.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I used handrail dowels from the big box store for my Scarlet.

Perfect size for a macaw.
Handrails are good as long as they have a variation to them and are not perfectly round as that perfection can cause their claws to degrade with time and to cause clam pad damage. The goal is variation over the length of the perch as that assures that the pressure of perching is rarely on the same pads.

Most Reactions