Cage Mates For My Budgie

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
So I used to have 2 male budgies housed together in the same cage and they were best friends. About a month ago I guess now, one of them passed away suddenly. I got my other birds checks for illness and they were fine so Iā€™m not sure the cause of his death. But anyway, I want to get my remaining budgie a new friend cuz he just seems very lonely now. He tries to play with my conure when heā€™s out of his cage but sheā€™s not a huge fan of him. So, my question is, what birds can I house with my budgie as a new friend. Iā€™ve seen you can house them with cockatiels, but apparently they die really randomly? Or at least more prone to it than other birds? And Iā€™ll probably just end up getting another budgie, but Iā€™d like to see if there was a different breed to keep with him. But also if I do get another budgie should it be a male or female, cuz I donā€™t want to introduce a new male and they end up fighting. Idk

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I'm sorry for the loss of your little guy.

I've never had budgies, but from meeting them in rescues and reading here, I think another budgie would be a good buddy. With any new parrot, I'd keep them separated/in separate cages even after the quarantine period, unless they choose to start sharing a cage.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
My budgie (RIP) had a best friend who was a lovebird. I put two flight cages together so they had plenty of space while caged. I connected the side doors so they could both enter and exit on their own. I also put out multiple food and water stations.

Most Reactions

Latest posts