Cage Mates For My Budgie

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
So I used to have 2 male budgies housed together in the same cage and they were best friends. About a month ago I guess now, one of them passed away suddenly. I got my other birds checks for illness and they were fine so I’m not sure the cause of his death. But anyway, I want to get my remaining budgie a new friend cuz he just seems very lonely now. He tries to play with my conure when he’s out of his cage but she’s not a huge fan of him. So, my question is, what birds can I house with my budgie as a new friend. I’ve seen you can house them with cockatiels, but apparently they die really randomly? Or at least more prone to it than other birds? And I’ll probably just end up getting another budgie, but I’d like to see if there was a different breed to keep with him. But also if I do get another budgie should it be a male or female, cuz I don’t want to introduce a new male and they end up fighting. Idk

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm sorry for the loss of your little guy.

I've never had budgies, but from meeting them in rescues and reading here, I think another budgie would be a good buddy. With any new parrot, I'd keep them separated/in separate cages even after the quarantine period, unless they choose to start sharing a cage.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
My budgie (RIP) had a best friend who was a lovebird. I put two flight cages together so they had plenty of space while caged. I connected the side doors so they could both enter and exit on their own. I also put out multiple food and water stations.

Most Reactions