Cage or bag carrier?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hello! As you may know, I am most likely getting a budgie if I keep and maintain my grades for about 30 days. Anyway, I have 3 carriers (2 cages and one bag) and one is very heavy and clunky so it wonā€™t be used. The other two However, are small and lightweight and would be very useful.

7CDB1062-2066-44B4-9D01-09F0C72B26D6.jpeg

Kinda crappy image but here is a Rico for scale.

Here is the other carrier:

I am stuck between the two.
41E43944-1E9C-4EA1-8CAC-C66B8F3407DE.jpeg
ACCE716A-E638-4464-8647-A229D65AF7B7.jpeg

chicken tender sized hand for scale.

I am super stuck here and need some help here.

Pros of the cage:

Easy to navigate
Gives a full view of everything
Not very suspicious
Can be locked
Easy to slip a budgie into without risk of escape

Cons of the cage:

Would be tough to get the budgie out of
Could potentially overwhelm a budgie by giving it a view of MANY scary things
No soundproofing

Pros of the bag:

Easy enough to slip a budgie into
Dark and gives a sense of security
Has some soundproofing
Can have a perch or no perch
Would be easy to release the budgie from in the cage
Lightweight

Cons of the bag:

The perch is hard to reach
Nowhere to climb
Not super soft but soft enough
The front is mildly bowed so rapid closing is a bit harder but is possible
3 different straps that snag VERY easily on things.

Iā€™m leaning towards the bird backpack just because the releasing would be easier and itā€™d be darker and feel safer for the budgie but I honestly donā€™t know if my thoughts are correct. Can someone please add some input?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Iā€™m not sure which would be better. Iā€™ve only ever had to put budgies in a travel cage and not a back pack.
Maybe see which one the new bird feels more comfortable in?

When I put Striga into a travel cage, I covered the back half with a pillowcase so maybe the backpack would be a better option.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello! As you may know, I am most likely getting a budgie if I keep and maintain my grades for about 30 days. Anyway, I have 3 carriers (2 cages and one bag) and one is very heavy and clunky so it wonā€™t be used. The other two However, are small and lightweight and would be very useful.

View attachment 49579
Kinda crappy image but here is a Rico for scale.

Here is the other carrier:

I am stuck between the two. View attachment 49580View attachment 49581
chicken tender sized hand for scale.

I am super stuck here and need some help here.

Pros of the cage:

Easy to navigate
Gives a full view of everything
Not very suspicious
Can be locked
Easy to slip a budgie into without risk of escape

Cons of the cage:

Would be tough to get the budgie out of
Could potentially overwhelm a budgie by giving it a view of MANY scary things
No soundproofing

Pros of the bag:

Easy enough to slip a budgie into
Dark and gives a sense of security
Has some soundproofing
Can have a perch or no perch
Would be easy to release the budgie from in the cage
Lightweight

Cons of the bag:

The perch is hard to reach
Nowhere to climb
Not super soft but soft enough
The front is mildly bowed so rapid closing is a bit harder but is possible
3 different straps that snag VERY easily on things.

Iā€™m leaning towards the bird backpack just because the releasing would be easier and itā€™d be darker and feel safer for the budgie but I honestly donā€™t know if my thoughts are correct. Can someone please add some input?
You're talking about transporting your new budgie home, right? I use a birdie backpack exclusively now that I have them. So much easier to get the bird in and out because they don't keep clinging to the bars and flapping around getting their wings caught. Less traumatic for them .you don't have to chase a budgie around in a smooth sided backpack. And they are easier to carry and get in and out of the car. I always fear I will bump a cage and a door will pop open or the bottom will fall off. Rocky likes it and my other budgies have been okay with them too.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Iā€™m not sure which would be better. Iā€™ve only ever had to put budgies in a travel cage and not a back pack.
Maybe see which one the new bird feels more comfortable in?

When I put Striga into a travel cage, I covered the back half with a pillowcase so maybe the backpack would be a better option.
I wonā€™t have the time to see which one will do best as I can only bring one or my mom will interrogate me and most likely jump to a conclusion and scold me.

I was leaning towards the backpack too tbh. Itā€™s just gonna be easier upon the release into the cage.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
You're talking about transporting your new budgie home, right? I use a birdie backpack exclusively now that I have them. So much easier to get the bird in and out because they don't keep clinging to the bars and flapping around getting their wings caught. Less traumatic for them .you don't have to chase a budgie around in a smooth sided backpack. And they are easier to carry and get in and out of the car. I always fear I will bump a cage and a door will pop open or the bottom will fall off. Rocky likes it and my other budgies have been okay with them too.
Yeah, thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about.

I figured itā€™s be easier to work with. Should I leave the dowel in or take it out? I feel like I should because itā€™s so thick and kinda hard to reach. Also, would you recommend I pad the bottom so the budgie has a softer surface to sit on?

Also, is 48$ a good price for a budgie?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yeah, thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about.

I figured itā€™s be easier to work with. Should I leave the dowel in or take it out? I feel like I should because itā€™s so thick and kinda hard to reach. Also, would you recommend I pad the bottom so the budgie has a softer surface to sit on?

Also, is 48$ a good price for a budgie?
I'd leave the dowel in because unless it's a very young (under 8 week) baby, budgies like to perch. My carrier has a padded bottom already and I like it so I'd pad it with layers of paper towels for absorbency and comfort and so budgie doesn't slide around if he falls. As for price, $48 should get you a very top quality budgie, whatever that means. Most budgies cost about $25 unless it's from a good breeder in which case you should expect to pay more. For $48, a budgie from a breeder may even be partially pre-tamed a bit for you. A real plus if you can find one.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
My understanding is that from a safety point of view (travelling in a car), solid cages are much safer.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My understanding is that from a safety point of view (travelling in a car), solid cages are much safer.
I think that would depend on how sturdy the backpack frame is. A true soft sided carrier wouldn't offer much protection at all and I wouldn't use of of them. I used to use a hard sided airport regulation small dog/cat carrier and that was unquestionably safe and very easy to use. A modern birdie backpack carrier with a strong rigid frame would seem to be at least as safe as the average wire travel cage used to transport small birds like budgies, maybe moreso. I have a few small wire cages and they are pretty flimsy. I used to worry that if I bumped one too hard getting in and out of the car that the plastic bottom might pop off or break allowing my bird to escape. The doors on these little cages are also so small it's hard to get your hand in there to easily retrieve a frightened budgie.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I'd leave the dowel in because unless it's a very young (under 8 week) baby, budgies like to perch. My carrier has a padded bottom already and I like it so I'd pad it with layers of paper towels for absorbency and comfort and so budgie doesn't slide around if he falls. As for price, $48 should get you a very top quality budgie, whatever that means. Most budgies cost about $25 unless it's from a good breeder in which case you should expect to pay more. For $48, a budgie from a breeder may even be partially pre-tamed a bit for you. A real plus if you can find one.
Alright, I will leave it in then! Thank you! Mine is a hard bottom so I would like to pad it for the budgie.

Well, from what I have heard, these budgies are from good breeders and they are taken care of pretty well so I figured the price was alright, especially since it isnā€™t pet-oh no. Iā€™m not sure if they are pre-tamed or not but I do not expect that.

Thank you so much!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Itā€™s a super short trip and the carrier is rock hard. Itā€™s fallen on my head off my shelf before and it literally took me down with it. I may or may not have sustained a mild concussion from it šŸ˜¬ so I think it should be alright.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I think that would depend on how sturdy the backpack frame is. A true soft sided carrier wouldn't offer much protection at all and I wouldn't use of of them. I used to use a hard sided airport regulation small dog/cat carrier and that was unquestionably safe and very easy to use. A modern birdie backpack carrier with a strong rigid frame would seem to be at least as safe as the average wire travel cage used to transport small birds like budgies, maybe moreso. I have a few small wire cages and they are pretty flimsy. I used to worry that if I bumped one too hard getting in and out of the car that the plastic bottom might pop off or break allowing my bird to escape. The doors on these little cages are also so small it's hard to get your hand in there to easily retrieve a frightened budgie.
Yeah, mine is sturdy as a brick! I was concked in the head by it once. The travel cage is also sturdy but I feel like getting the budgie out would be a huge problem. And I mean a HUGE problem! I could hardly get my budgies out when I first got them and getting Rico out is a PITA! He is like, almost the same width as it and I cannot get him out, he has to crawl out himself. So, I believe I have made my decision, now that I have gotten some input. I think I will be using the backpack just because of the convenience.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Alright, I will leave it in then! Thank you! Mine is a hard bottom so I would like to pad it for the budgie.

Well, from what I have heard, these budgies are from good breeders and they are taken care of pretty well so I figured the price was alright, especially since it isnā€™t pet-oh no. Iā€™m not sure if they are pre-tamed or not but I do not expect that.

Thank you so much!
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. It's amazing how inexpensive budgies are considering what beautiful little companions they make. Frankly I wish they cost more so people wouldn't treat them as throw away pets.
You may want to use some tape to secure a thick layer of paper towels to the bottom so it doesn't shift around while driving.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I reckon it definitely comes down to whatever you're comfortable with. Whenever my birds go out (which is rare) I use one of those tiny cheap "cages" or a plastic cat carrier for the bigger boys. Sometimes I am also worry about the cheap ones coming apart so I never use the handle, I practically hug it when carrying it to be sure it doesn't come apart.
I know of someone who was in a horrific accident with their macaw. Their macaw was travelling in a dog crate and was completely uninjured.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I reckon it definitely comes down to whatever you're comfortable with. Whenever my birds go out (which is rare) I use one of those tiny cheap "cages" or a plastic cat carrier for the bigger boys. Sometimes I am also worry about the cheap ones coming apart so I never use the handle, I practically hug it when carrying it to be sure it doesn't come apart.
I know of someone who was in a horrific accident with their macaw. Their macaw was travelling in a dog crate and was completely uninjured.
Was your friend injured in the accident?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. It's amazing how inexpensive budgies are considering what beautiful little companions they make. Frankly I wish they cost more so people wouldn't treat them as throw away pets.
You may want to use some tape to secure a thick layer of paper towels to the bottom so it doesn't shift around while driving.
It really is amazing and I 100000% agree with you! I wish they were like 100+ and not for the English breed. People just treat them like they are nothing. Just a little decoration or a toy for their kid. Itā€™s so annoying and angering and heartbreaking. I HATE how they are even marketed towards kids like hammies and something else(I forgot what). it makes me want to feed them black licorice and toe burgers!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It really is amazing and I 100000% agree with you! I wish they were like 100+ and not for the English breed. People just treat them like they are nothing. Just a little decoration or a toy for their kid. Itā€™s so annoying and angering and heartbreaking. I HATE how they are even marketed towards kids like hammies and something else(I forgot what). it makes me want to feed them black licorice and toe burgers!!
I love black licorice- toe burgers, not so much!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Was your friend injured in the accident?
I believe it was only minor leg injury, for the owner (was a couple people in the car). It all could have ended a lot worse...

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Are you implying you impulse buy animals and are a poopy petco manager who lets animal abuse slide? šŸ¤ØšŸ“·
I'm a Pet Big Box store corporate spy plotting to squeeze budgies in my fists, stuff them into tiny cages, and feed them moldy expired birdseed to stop all this bleeding heart Parrot Forum nonsense.

Most Reactions

Latest posts