Cage placement near the window

DoctorWhoops

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Appa the Caique
hello all,

A little less than a week ago I got my new five year old Caique, Appa, from his previous owner. The past few days spent with him have been a mix of exciting and highly stressful for the both of us, but I think we're increasingly starting to adjust to each other, and he's starting to adjust to the environmment (which solves some issues and brings some new ones).

For the past few days I had his cage (Venus Strong Cage) placed in a corner close to the window, but not directly parallel to it. The short and taller side of the cage faced the room and my desk, which unfortunately meant he spent most of his time clinging to the smallest part of his cage staring at me. The far side of the cage went almost entirely unused. This in itself was a tad unfortunate, but not enough to change the placement of the cage around. However, I've started to rearrange the rest of my room to be more safely explorable for him (and to create some more natural barriers to keep him away from my sleeping area and the kitchen), and as part of this I want to rotate his cage 45 degrees.

However, what this results in (aside from the cage now having a 45 degree different orientation to the room which he might need to get used to) is that half of the cage is now directly next to the window. After placing it this way he spends some time looking outside of it, but from what I read having the cage directly next to the window could lead to anxious behaviour.

Attached are an illustration of how I changed the cage's placement, as well as a photo of how it's currently positioned relative to the window. Does my Caique have enough space to sit in where he can distance himself from any frights he might see out of the window, or should I just keep the window blacked out at all time? (which I can do)

EDIT: I don't have to worry about drafts because it's not a window I open usually anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20240122_163837.jpg
    IMG_20240122_163837.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Cage Placement.png
    Cage Placement.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 14

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
That is a very nice cage! I don’t see any issue with the placement as he can move away from the window if he wants to. Some birds enjoy looking out a window! But if it seems to scare your bird, you could resolve that by placing a blanket over the part of his cage that faces the window so that his outside view is blocked.

OP
DoctorWhoops

DoctorWhoops

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Appa the Caique
That is a very nice cage! I don’t see any issue with the placement as he can move away from the window if he wants to. Some birds enjoy looking out a window! But if it seems to scare your bird, you could resolve that by placing a blanket over the part of his cage that faces the window so that his outside view is blocked.
Thanks, I'm very happy with the cage, aside from the fact that it takes up a relatively large amount of a relatively small room, and is so large covering it at night can become a hassle!

It's been only a couple of hours but he already seems to be using a lot more space, which is part of why I wanted to move it. I also had some worries moving the cage might lead to even more difficulty getting him back to it once I take him out (which is already the biggest hassle of the day) but for the 30 minutes I had him out to test it didn't seem to have that effect.

I'm happy to hear that the placement of the cage shouldn't lead to any issues and that if it does I can solve it easily. Thanks for the help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts