Cage recommendation for cockatiel

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko who is 1 year old.

I was hoping if someone can recommend a good and sturdy cage for him. I am interested in upgrading his cage :)

I donā€™t know exactly how much his current cage is but I think it could be bigger. We decided to buy Kiko a big flight cage once he has learned to fly better and his flight feathers come back (because he was clipped when we got him.) he has definitely gotten more confident and better at flying. Although he is outside of his cage for the whole day, I still think a bigger cage is good for if we ever have to go somewhere for a day, so he can at least fly/play around in his cage.

I would also like to set up some bigger toys and perches inside his cage, Al thought he never really gives any kind of toys any attention. (But I want him to!)

Ideally, I would prefer a cage that is just big enough for him because we have a limited space where his cage currently is, and preferably a white cage (but it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s black.)

I have tried looking for a cage myself on Kijiji or Amazon but apparently some cages online have a dangerous coating on the bars which is unsafe to consume and I donā€™t know how much space there should be in between each bar. If someone can suggest a good quality, budget friendly cage that would be really appreciated! Or if someone knows of a store where we can go and buy a cage? Somewhere in Kitchener/Waterloo - Milton/Mississauga in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for reading, take care!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I was hoping if someone can recommend a good and sturdy cage for him. I am interested in upgrading his cage :)

I donā€™t know exactly how much his current cage is but I think it could be bigger. We decided to buy Kiko a big flight cage once he has learned to fly better and his flight feathers come back (because he was clipped when we got him.) he has definitely gotten more confident and better at flying. Although he is outside of his cage for the whole day, I still think a bigger cage is good for if we ever have to go somewhere for a day, so he can at least fly/play around in his cage.

I would also like to set up some bigger toys and perches inside his cage, Al thought he never really gives any kind of toys any attention. (But I want him to!)

Ideally, I would prefer a cage that is just big enough for him because we have a limited space where his cage currently is, and preferably a white cage (but it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s black.)

I have tried looking for a cage myself on Kijiji or Amazon but apparently some cages online have a dangerous coating on the bars which is unsafe to consume and I donā€™t know how much space there should be in between each bar. If someone can suggest a good quality, budget friendly cage that would be really appreciated! Or if someone knows of a store where we can go and buy a cage? Somewhere in Kitchener/Waterloo - Milton/Mississauga in Ontario, Canada.

What is your budget? What dimensions (length x width x height) are you thinking about? I have bought quite a few excellent cages on Amazon (24x18x24 plus stand) for under $100 that had stands with wheels that I'd recommend but I don't know what size you have in mind.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

How about 32x18x36h (64 inches high including the rolling stand) for $89 in white.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
What is your budget? What dimensions (length x width x height) are you thinking about? I have bought quite a few excellent cages on Amazon (24x18x24 plus stand) for under $100 that had stands with wheels that I'd recommend but I don't know what size you have in mind.
Budget would be under $200 and as for dimensions, the bigger the better or the ideal size for a single cockatiel-sized bird. (24ā€™ long by 18ā€™ wide by 24 I think?- or is that too small?)

Mae22

Mar 7, 2023
Parrots
Daisy - Red Bellied Parrot/Poicephalus
Gus - Black Masked Lovebird
Skye - Budgie
A few years back, I lost my cockatiel who'd been with me for 28 years. At some point I will have another cockatiel, and when I do, he will have this cage:

It's an HQ cage (Wayfair "rebrands" everything they sell). I have these exact same feeder doors on my Red Bellied's 32x23 HQ dome top cage and they are amazing, and I love the flip down "porch". Great size, and 1/2" bar spacing. It's cage perfection.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
A few years back, I lost my cockatiel who'd been with me for 28 years. At some point I will have another cockatiel, and when I do, he will have this cage:

It's an HQ cage (Wayfair "rebrands" everything they sell). I have these exact same feeder doors on my Red Bellied's 32x23 HQ dome top cage and they are amazing, and I love the flip down "porch". Great size, and 1/2" bar spacing. It's cage perfection.
This is a great cage. I really like the horizontal bars because parrots have an easier time climbing them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts